Trans Parts On The Road Wtf!

Yesterday came home on a flat deck tow truck, driving along at cruise speed my truck all of a sudden felt like the brakes were dragging then I hear this bang and parts dancing on the road, found a couple PCs and new rite away where they came from it was part of the trans apply pistons housing that had broke off and let the billet pistons fly on the side of the trany, and I think to myself If it weren't for bad luck id have no luck at all !!!!!

Any ideas on why this would happen ?

Edited by BlownFogger540 (see edit history)

I'd have to say that the metal snap ring came off. The metal snap ring is the only thing that holds the whole servo into the pan itself unless something internally popped with huge forge that it blew the snap ring off. Maybe when the snap ring was put back on, it was not in the 2nd groove and was just waiting to pop off.

I'd have to say that the metal snap ring came off. The metal snap ring is the only thing that holds the whole servo into the pan itself unless something internally popped with huge forge that it blew the snap ring off. Maybe when the snap ring was put back on, it was not in the 2nd groove and was just waiting to pop off.

I think I was misleading you, changed the post, the piston housing on the side of the trany.

the "piston housing on the side of the tranny" sounds alot like the servos to me.... other than inside the trans pan, there is no part on the outside of the tranny other than the servos.

the snap ring popping off is very common, and unfortunately it almost always takes parts of the case with it, ruining the entire housing. this is more than most of the time improper installation of the snap ring like smoke eater said. when they arent all the way seated they shoot off when pressure is exerted.

the "piston housing on the side of the tranny" sounds alot like the servos to me.... other than inside the trans pan, there is no part on the outside of the tranny other than the servos.

the snap ring popping off is very common, and unfortunately it almost always takes parts of the case with it, ruining the entire housing. this is more than most of the time improper installation of the snap ring like smoke eater said. when they arent all the way seated they shoot off when pressure is exerted.

its been installed since August, the part of the housing that broke is from the snapring out, like there was extreme presure in there the snapring didnt pop out the housing broke the ring of alum off

hmm.... and you said you were just cruising? like it didnt happen during a shift?

Ya came off the freeway stopped at a local hotrod shop came back out, trany felt loose but was on a hill drove away a block later truck feels like the brakes going on with the gas on, and boom bing bang

• 2 weeks later...
DO you have a tune?

I'm gonna guess your line pressure might be too high.

like you had a tune w/o a shift kit then added the kit and did not lower the line pressure back?? a guess I dont speak transmission :D

yes but kept it low and lower than stock in so area's