Tranny Cooler

Im planning on upgrading my tranny with Yank 2600 Torque converter, and either a Zippy or Transgo shift kit. My SS already has a tranny cooler but I see others are upgrading there coolers, are the stock coolers inadequate? What are the issues and which cooler should I consider, if any?

Ive researched both shift kits, both seem to be the shift kit of choice, how about the TQ are there others I should consider that are reasonably priced? I tow a boat (+/-3000lbs) occansionally.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

i have a tbtc and the stall is around 26-28 hundred, and i choose the tru-cool 4590 cooler. my temps don't see past 160-165. :thumbs: and plus it is a very easy install with all the fittings & hoses included. without the tranny cooler i would go past 200 all day, now it rarely goes past 165. it's perfect for my stall and should be good with your 2600 too.

and zippy's shift kit is hands down the best, word 2 the wise.

I didnt but i am 2wd and dont tow and even after beating on it the temps never got above 170-175 ish nothin wrong with those temps. But have since upgraded the cooler. Since you plan on towing and stuff it would be cheap insurance but make sure you get oone with fittings and not a slide the hose on and clamp style IMO.

:withstupid:

that should answer your question

for me the stock one would not cut it in summer, temps got around 200. However in winter with the tru cool i have trouble getting the trans over 85. The tru cool does come with a thermo by pass that would be a good idea, i choose not to use it based only on my own hard headed ideas. I just cover the grill with thin plexiglass from the back side and now my trans heats up to at least 100 on the cold days and 120-150 on the 50 degree days. With a 2600 stall i would think upgrading the cooler is a good idea, but it depends on your climate, and depend on how big you want to go. the B&M isn't rated as high as the large tru-cool so for you maybe thats a better bet. This summer i plan on a 3600 stall, so i know I'll need every bit of the tru-cools ability.

Brad