My Ss Keeps Dying

yttaf

Well I had some trouble back in October with a dead battery after leaving the blower motor going without the truck running. We jumped the truck to get it started & when I went to put into drive it died. The only way I could keep it running was to switch it to neutral & rev it up a bit & then switch back to drive to go. When I go to stop same thing, would have to switch to neutral to keep it going. Which in turn the tranny temps got really hot.

Anyways, I parked my truck for the winter, in my garage & sold my wheels so it's up on jack stands right now. Well today was nice, so I opened up the garage & figured I'd start the truck since it's been a while & let it idle until it's good & warmed up.

Well the truck started fine & idle great for about 5 minutes or so, then it started having troubles idleing... The idle would bounce between 500 to 1000 rpm & then die. I would start it back up & same thing, the idle would just bounce.

Anyone have a clue what to check or what might be wrong?

Well I had some trouble back in October with a dead battery after leaving the blower motor going without the truck running. We jumped the truck to get it started & when I went to put into drive it died. The only way I could keep it running was to switch it to neutral & rev it up a bit & then switch back to drive to go. When I go to stop same thing, would have to switch to neutral to keep it going. Which in turn the tranny temps got really hot.

Anyways, I parked my truck for the winter, in my garage & sold my wheels so it's up on jack stands right now. Well today was nice, so I opened up the garage & figured I'd start the truck since it's been a while & let it idle until it's good & warmed up.

Well the truck started fine & idle great for about 5 minutes or so, then it started having troubles idleing... The idle would bounce between 500 to 1000 rpm & then die. I would start it back up & same thing, the idle would just bounce.

Anyone have a clue what to check or what might be wrong?

Been there. 1st check air filter, 2nd look into throttle body should be nice and clean and opening smooth, the pull the plugs take a look at them make sure they are firing nice and clean, Check fuel pressure and replace fuel filter, if all else fails it's an air leak try starting at pcv(when did you last change it)

Do you have an SES light on? It obviously sounds like a misfire, and it should be throwing a P0300 code for that. Check your air filter and clean your MAF sensor. Check your spark plug wires and make sure they are not loose or cracked. The Idle Air Control (IAC) could be sticking also which would cause the erradic idle condition. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Ok thanx for the tips guys, I'll be checking this stuff out! As far as my truck I believe everything is original & nothing has ever been changed. There is no SES light on...

Well I think it's time for a tune up anyways.

Maybe since the battery was running down, and then disconnected, ur trucks PCM is needing to relearn the fuel trim, idle speed, trans shift points, etc. I would get some wheels and tires and DRIVE her dude...

+1... These things suck when you drain/disconnect the battery....It took me nearly a week of driving back and forth to work and home, for it to finally learn how to run.

Honestly, I don't understand why GM does this. You would think that with all the sensors(emmisions), it would always know how to run.

If it's still doing it after several hundred miles, as mentioned...clean MAF and thottle body, and buy a new MAP....

Thanx, guys I just got my new wheels yesterday, so as soon as it warms up a bit she will be going out for a drive. I'll check the throttle body & stuff & let you guys know what I find.

for grins, i would throw a battery in "honeypot" too.

Pull the battery and get it tested.

seems like it is discharged and after its voltage drops the truck will not get enough juice to run.

Checking your TB is not going to really tell you anything, unless you dog your truck it should just be the normal amount of crap on it.