Different Tire Sizes Harmful For A Short Time?

Folks, I had a bad blow out this past weekend (very rainy in SoCal, worst time for a flat,etc...) and had to mount a pair of 275/45 20's on the front of my SS. Will this hurt the diffs if I drive it around for a couple of days? I ordered a set of Pirelli Scorpion STR's, but they won't be in until Wednesday.

Thanks!

AWD's are very sensitive to this type of situation. I believe the overall tire height is the most critical, what are the rears?

I know they don't even like you putting on the same size with different tread depths ( IE buying 2 new tires instead of 4 ).

All from what i read and heard ... nothing first hand ... just my $.02

little FYI......when changing the spare tire its always best to put the spare on one of the rear tires and keep the stock tire/rim up front. (safer) IMO. i am 2WD and had DR that were smaller in diamiter and didnt have any issues

Fook me. I knew it... I'll put it up on blocks and yank the wheels myself then... Is there any way/need to "unwind" the transfer case? I've driven it this way for about 30 miles--any chance that I've hurt anything?

No need to do that ... only 30 miles I highly doubt you cause any damage what so ever. Being AWD you have to be a little more careful than the 2wd guys. You sound fine though, don't get too worked up :)

*Moving Topic*

I wouldn't drive it until you have matching diameter tires on her. I'd be curious as to T-case heat build up. I am not an expert by any means in this area however I would expect some stress and heat build up in the good ol viscous coupling AWD T-case.

rolling circumfrence of the tires is critical and will over a short period of time start screwing with your transfercase. and that my friend is an expensive fix. as for the front diff not as critical but deff not god for it. i have repaired alot of awd + 4wd noises buy selling the customer 4 new tires

rolling circumfrence of the tires is critical and will over a short period of time start screwing with your transfercase. and that my friend is an expensive fix. as for the front diff not as critical but deff not god for it. i have repaired alot of awd + 4wd noises buy selling the customer 4 new tires

Thanks guys. I did it the hard way--I had the truck up on stands last night, yanked the wheels, and had a new set of Pirelli Scorpion STR's mounted first thing this morning...

I appreciate the input--what a bone-headed move!!!

Now the next order of business is re-doing my exhaust so that I can keep my spare where it belongs...