Which Handles Better? 2wd Vs. Awd

GSXROFDFW

Hey guys. I am sure some of you have owned a 2wd slammed truck before and I would like your opinion. I know the front suspension is different from a awd/4x4 vs a rear wheel drive. Specifically the torsion bars as opposed to coils springs and also the steering gear box opposed to a steering rack.

I don't know where I heard this or why I think this but I have always thought of a vehicle with torsion bars as not handling as well as a vehicle with coils springs. Please don't take that as a knock on the SS because I have heard great things about the way these trucks drive. That is why I am here!

-Is this all BS and I am wrong or does a 2wd truck have an advantage with coils springs and steering rack.

-Or does the awd make up for any compromises in the front susupension that had to be made to accomodate the front drive train.

Thanks!

Newb from DFW.

I would say its all on preference. Some people might be biased to AWD or 2WD but I would say my AWD Handles better than a 2wd but I havent driven or riden in a 2wd ss so I cant say but if your gonna be using it for like autocross or something I would go with AWD for coming out of the corners you dont have to worry about the ass kickin out on ya. With a 2wd you can lower more and easier but both can have suspension mods like lowering it with sway bars and better shocks and/or springs. I guess it based on what you wanna do with your truck. If your concerned about just plain sluggish suspension for everyday driving incase you have to do some defensive driving or something the AWD takes care of those no problem believe ive done it more than once and Im sure some of these 2wd guys will tell you the same thing. These trucks are built for great everyday driving and built for weekend play all in one great truck and with a little cash thrown at em on the right mods they will be even better!

The real answer is basically, the way you drive. I can drive/push any AWD car/truck faster, harder, and everything better then I can any RWD/FWD car/truck, including cars like vettes. However, my brother is the exact opposite, he can push a RWD car into corners harder and faster then he can an AWD.

So yes, an AWD and RWD are driven differently, and have several different types of techniques and tricks.

I have driven both, and I think that the RWD models handle slightly better, but going to polyurethane bushings and end links make a world of difference over stock. :chevy:

I've upgraded to Bilstein shocks, polyurethane bushings and end links, and Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires and my AWD truck handles MUCH better than stock, even when it was new. With a rear sway bar added, I could only guess how good it would handle.

Wow guys lots of good real world info to chew on.

You see I currently drive a front wheel drive rice box that is on rails around corners and I drive like a real ass on the street and it is a ball. I work on BMW's for a living so I am very used to RWD also. Both front wheel and rear wheel drives have there own fun things about them.

I was in the market for a C5 Vette to mod the crap out of but I just bought a house and am having a baby soon. I still have money to mod just have to have something that is a least slightly more practical. I am giving up my slot car handling rice box for a truck so it might as well be one fast ass super special truck.

Thanks for your comments and I welcome more!

I don't know where I heard this or why I think this but I have always thought of a vehicle with torsion bars as not handling as well as a vehicle with coils springs. Please don't take that as a knock on the SS because I have heard great things about the way these trucks drive. That is why I am here!

-Is this all BS and I am wrong or does a 2wd truck have an advantage with coils springs and steering rack.

-Or does the awd make up for any compromises in the front susupension that had to be made to accomodate the front drive train.

Thanks!

Newb from DFW.

In the SS, the 2wd and AWD have the same suspension/Chassis. I wouldn't get to cought up in comparing the chassis. :confused:

Qusestion is: do you want 2 wheels pushing you? Or 4 wheels pulling you? :dunno:

You have to figure that out by driving them both! u will find a split decision on this site. (I am an AWD guy.)

~Danny

if your suspension is setup right the awd will out handle it.

but remember its a truck auto x it isnt going to get you any crazy results.

i can say with the suspension i have i can easily take corners at twice the recomended speed without sweat.

I think the AWD is the way to go for me. I am not really looking at an SS at all but a 2000 - later 4x4 rcsb instead to lower and put in the transfer case out of you guy's truck. I am a mechanic and prefer a truck with high miles so I can dump the engine, trans, brakes and suspension etc for the parts I want. Labor tools and shop equipment are the easy part. I am looking at 20,000 to 25,000 to spend tops. From everything I have looked up you can buy a truck with some higher mileage, maybe 100,000 miles, and build it pretty nasty for that amount of money.

If anyone knows of a place that sells progressive torsion bars, if there even was such a thing, I would be interested in reading about it.

if your suspension is setup right the awd will out handle it.

but remember its a truck auto x it isnt going to get you any crazy results.

i can say with the suspension i have i can easily take corners at twice the recomended speed without sweat.

I live in the Dallas area and we have no shortage of long, straight, flat,smooth roads around here so how much handling do I really need I guess. I rip stop light to stop light then down the tollway to work.

Your 60ft times in your sig are nuts!!! That is some serious mass to get going that fast that quick. I am really impressed.

• 3 weeks later...

I vote for AWD...I have the Hotchkiss Sways,( front and rear ), bilstein shocks and bagged in the rear. ( bags do not cross / air will not go from 1 side to the other when cornering )

I love to freak out ricers on the twisty freeway ramps etc. Like Chase said, I can easily take corners at double the posted speed. :jester: