Need Help With Tonneau Cover

dsomonster

Just bought an SS (2003) without a tonneau cover. I don't really haul stuff but would like the security of leaving my clubs, bats, and b-ball gear back there without having to unload daily.

I do haul the occasional couch, TV, tree, and of course when you get a truck, everyone comes out of the woodwork needing assistance hauling junk.

I do want a hard cover and like the idea of the electic ones (Pace-Setter, I believe).

Can any of you with tonneau covers chime in with what you think and some of your experiences with each. I just want as much information before pulling the trigger on one.

Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

when you get a truck, everyone comes out of the woodwork needing assistance hauling junk.

This is very true...

I have an 03 SS too and I got a free soft tonneau cover from a guy at work who bought a hard cover for his truck. The top part was work out but I got a brand new one for $150. I really wanted a flush mount hard cover but I cant afford $1K to spend on that.

My old roomate had an electric one on his f150 and it was pretty cool, he could just press a button on his remote and it would go back and forth, kinda like a garage door. I didnt like how it looked though, also like a garage door- but on your truck. It was made out of some kinda hard plastic and it was strong, you could sit on it and I think he stood on it too a few times.

Another thing to consider is the color of your truck- mines black so the black soft cover looks good, but if yours is blue or red I dont know how good it would look with a black cover, ya know???

If youre looking for a soft cover I just talked to someone today who said he was selling his old one. Im not sure what kind it is or how much he wants for it but I can find out if you want me to, just PM me.

67speedsta,

The Truxedo one is the one I would get if I went the soft top route. Thanks for your feedback. I just would not feel comfortable leaving all my sports equipment in there without a sturdier cover. With the cost of golf clubs and softball bats, I could not afford to replace them. I don't want to hear all the I told you so's and be without all my gear. I am looking really hard into a hard cover.

Turbocoop,

Thanks for the heads up. The hard cover is expensive but I would be really pissed if I went soft cover and then someone else was using my clubs at the range. I would rather save up and then get it when I can or use the almighty credit card. I do agree, the garage door look kinda sucks but it's better than getting one of them hard covers and having to take it off if I wanted to throw something large in the back. The truck is black, just like yours, so it would match a little better. Ya gotta send me some pics.

The truck is being shipped down from Sacramento this week sometime. I bought if from a forum member (HaynSS). I already have a huge wish list formed, so I come to the experts, you guys.

I'll keep looking and let you know what I decide.

I hope to get more members to chime in.

-Ron

This is very true...

I have an 03 SS too and I got a free soft tonneau cover from a guy at work who bought a hard cover for his truck. The top part was work out but I got a brand new one for $150. I really wanted a flush mount hard cover but I cant afford $1K to spend on that.

My old roomate had an electric one on his f150 and it was pretty cool, he could just press a button on his remote and it would go back and forth, kinda like a garage door. I didnt like how it looked though, also like a garage door- but on your truck. It was made out of some kinda hard plastic and it was strong, you could sit on it and I think he stood on it too a few times.

Another thing to consider is the color of your truck- mines black so the black soft cover looks good, but if yours is blue or red I dont know how good it would look with a black cover, ya know???

If youre looking for a soft cover I just talked to someone today who said he was selling his old one. Im not sure what kind it is or how much he wants for it but I can find out if you want me to, just PM me.

On my 04 SS I put a fold a cover (brand name) on it. I liked it for the fact it was lockable and it was trifold so I could put large items in the bed when needed. I dont like the cloth like cover since its easy to steal, also your stuff in the bed isn't very secure.

On my 03 that I have no it has a sold cover that is lockable and it lifts up with gas shocks sort of like a trunk.

I like the trifold one the best. Since I could put tall items (like Motors, Fridges, couches, etc) in the bed when needed without having to remove the cover.

On my 04 SS I put a fold a cover (brand name) on it. I liked it for the fact it was lockable and it was trifold so I could put large items in the bed when needed. I dont like the cloth like cover since its easy to steal, also your stuff in the bed isn't very secure.

On my 03 that I have no it has a sold cover that is lockable and it lifts up with gas shocks sort of like a trunk.

I like the trifold one the best. Since I could put tall items (like Motors, Fridges, couches, etc) in the bed when needed without having to remove the cover.

:withstupid::withstupid: 100%

Love Mine ... One of the best investments I made for my truck.

Fold-A-Cover website ... Link

foldacover1.gif

I have a Pace Edwards brand electric cover. I really like it. A few drawbacks: you lose about 8-12in of space due to the housing, and it gets hard to open in the cold. I don't think you would have to worry about that in CA, though.

ShockX5,

Thanks for the heads up, I don't think the cold is goign to play a factor out here.

Sprayed99,

I only wish I could say I would use the bed for sitting on the tailgate, but the reality of it is...Those with a truck will usually get asked to haul stuff. Plus I would like to leave my golf clubs, softball and basketball gear along with my kids' sports gear in the truck so I don't have to unload all the damn time. I need the security because the truck will sleep outside while the Vette and Suburban get dibs on the garage.

I am pricing the top out and DAMN, Highway Flippin' Robbery!!! I'll keep all of you posted as to what happens.

Thanks,

Ron

Howzit, Makani? Damn right I got a GOOD DEAL! Damn those tonneau covers are bank? I gotta protect the bats, clubs and kids' gear. I'm still thinking about it. :cheers:

Sprayed99,

I wish I could tell them all to Kick Rocks, but then they start begging and groveling. I've been calling all the dealers around me and they are all within a $100 of each other. We shall see.

Edited by DsoMonster (see edit history)