Undercover Tonneau

When I got my truck in July of 2004, the first "modification" that I made was to purchase an UnderCover hard tonneau cover. When I installed it, I did not realize that I should remove the tailgate cap / spoiler, but that's a story for another time.

Early last year, I began to see lines or streaks running from front to back on the cover. I tried to wash them off, but they seemed permanent. More and more of them were appearing. When I looked more closely, it appeared that some sort of clear laminate was separating from the black part of the cover itself. Of course by this time, my 3 year warranty was expired. But, on the advice of Fireman31 (Dan), I contacted UnderCover. They answered my email almost immediately, and asked for some pictures of the cover. I sent pictures. They responded and said "the cover has to be replaced".

Well… I answered back, "Do you expect me to buy another cover and hope it lasts more than 3 years? That's a lot of money!" And they said "NO! We're sending you a new cover. In addition, you do not have to return the defective cover." I was stunned.

So yesterday, my new cover arrived. I wanted to put up a post to let everyone know how outstanding UnderCover's customer support was. Since the warranty was up, they could have told me to take a hike. But instead, they replaced the cover for free. As for the cover itself, it is terrific, other than the issue I had. It's water tight and secure. Easy to open, easy to remove. I would recommend it, assuming the material lasts past the 3 year mark this time. I am also assuming it might have been an early production issue that they solved. Now I just have to sell the old cover to someone with a work truck, or something...

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give all of the details.

I went to thier site to try to see a closeup of one but I couldnt find any good pictures for some reason. Do you have a pic of it on your truck? I might want to buy your old one if its not too bad. I have a soft cover and I dont really like how it looks

I have been installing these for dealers for a couple years. I have not sold a Fiberglass Tonneau since these came out. Actually, I have one for a 2008 F250 Super Duty Long Bed in my garage right now.

These have a textured finish, but can be painted if prepped properly. That might take care of the lines you had in the first cover if it is not a structural problem.

I went to thier site to try to see a closeup of one but I couldnt find any good pictures for some reason. Do you have a pic of it on your truck? I might want to buy your old one if its not too bad. I have a soft cover and I dont really like how it looks

Here's one pic... Hope this does the trick for you. I'd love to sell the old one, but shipping to SC might be a killer. (I have some closeup pics of the cover itself at home if you're interested. Send me a PM.)

post-9798-1200577865_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)