Living Up To My Tag

took the truck to work today to have it cleaned up after wards for the big track day tommorrow.

what do you know about 5 miles from my house my converter lets go, i know i broke the input hub housing that spins the pump, its the 3rd time i have done this, reason is i have no gears but park and look at the dip stick and appears to be over full which normally points to a pump problem

so now at this point im asking for help, why would my converters keep shitting in the same spot? tuning lock up ? my lockups are very hard and so is my 1-2 shift but i wouldnt think this bad. would anyone be willing to look at my trans tables via hpt and give me a hand?

im also considering the 4l80 swap seriously, i could spend 500 and get the truck back together with another 65 with the possibilty of the same or go with the 80 , lose some power to drivetrain loss and probably not worry about it again, but this is going to cost me in the ball park of 6k.

thanks everyone

just be done with it chase and save up for the 4l80e.. drive the camaro for the time being until you're able to get enough coin saved.

edit: sorry to hear about the luck, but you are the resident transmission killer..

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)

on the phone you said it was a TC problem... what is your stall and when does it lock up? your truck makes a ton of power early in the rpms, maybe its too powerful once your into a lot of boost at 3000k, and that is what snaps it...

if you lock the TC at 550hp vs 400hp, what do you think is worse? seems like simple math to me, but i could be mistaken. im sending you a pm now... i have an idea.

took the truck to work today to have it cleaned up after wards for the big track day tommorrow.

what do you know about 5 miles from my house my converter lets go, i know i broke the input hub housing that spins the pump, its the 3rd time i have done this, reason is i have no gears but park and look at the dip stick and appears to be over full which normally points to a pump problem

so now at this point im asking for help, why would my converters keep shitting in the same spot? tuning lock up ? my lockups are very hard and so is my 1-2 shift but i wouldnt think this bad. would anyone be willing to look at my trans tables via hpt and give me a hand?

im also considering the 4l80 swap seriously, i could spend 500 and get the truck back together with another 65 with the possibilty of the same or go with the 80 , lose some power to drivetrain loss and probably not worry about it again, but this is going to cost me in the ball park of 6k.

thanks everyone

6000 for an 80e. WTF! what is it made of....gold. around here we can get it done for a bit under 3K

I think the reason he says it will cost so much is because he intends to retain the awd system with the 4L80. The trans itself is only about half of that 6k. The 4L80 is longer than the 4L65 and inorder to retain the awd, everything underneath must be relocated. Shorter driveshaft, transfer case adapter, longer front shaft, new cross member mounts, etc. Also I believe the electronics would have to be addressed as well. There is a company that makes the complete swap kits and the total cost with their top line trans is about 6k.

6000 for an 80e. WTF! what is it made of....gold. around here we can get it done for a bit under 3K

It is quite a bit more than you'd guess.

2500-3500 for a built 80E (no point in going with a junkyard or stock unit after all the trouble he's had)

600-1000 for a new torque converter (Yank or PI Vigilante)

600 or so for transfercase input parts and labor

400-800 to have the driveshafts fixed (with a over 5000lb truck pulling 60's in the 1.5's you don't just find anyone that says they can do it cheap)

That's just the start. Figure the trans mounting, wiring, fluid, etc, etc, etc on top of all of that.

It is quite a bit more than you'd guess.

2500-3500 for a built 80E (no point in going with a junkyard or stock unit after all the trouble he's had)

600-1000 for a new torque converter (Yank or PI Vigilante)

600 or so for transfercase input parts and labor

400-800 to have the driveshafts fixed (with a over 5000lb truck pulling 60's in the 1.5's you don't just find anyone that says they can do it cheap)

That's just the start. Figure the trans mounting, wiring, fluid, etc, etc, etc on top of all of that.

I agree and then some. New flex plate, transmission lines, copy of an 80E file for the PCM, crossmember...yea, I may be collecting parts for this build :P

Anyway, are you locking your converter THROUGH your shifts? Even I am hesitant on doing that and I have about 300 less RWHP than you. I lock at 3rd gear WOT however not through the shift (very hard on the input shaft and converter hub). Is your FP bent a little causing a small vibration and damaging your converter hub. Is the hub seated all the way into the pump? Did you shim the converter bolts by any chance? That is a pretty stout converter to snap 2x in the same place.

FWIW, I would stick with the 65E for now. :cheers:

I agree and then some. New flex plate, transmission lines, copy of an 80E file for the PCM, crossmember...yea, I may be collecting parts for this build :P

Anyway, are you locking your converter THROUGH your shifts? Even I am hesitant on doing that and I have about 300 less RWHP than you. I lock at 3rd gear WOT however not through the shift (very hard on the input shaft and converter hub). Is your FP bent a little causing a small vibration and damaging your converter hub. Is the hub seated all the way into the pump? Did you shim the converter bolts by any chance? That is a pretty stout converter to snap 2x in the same place.

FWIW, I would stick with the 65E for now. :cheers:

fp bent what is that?

im pretty sure everything is right but im only locking up in 4th pasy 40 mph. i havent gone wot yet so i know im not being to hard on it. no shims on the converter.

I believe he means the flexplate could be bent, but maybe not noticeable to the naked eye. I would imagine if it was not true/flat, it could cause a vibration that could cause a failure?

Yea, sorry... Flex Plate. Since you haven't gone WOT, that changes alot. I still suspect you are making tons of power however,...well dunno. Does PI have any suggestions, Toyshop?