Not As Fast As I Expected

scooter3

As I patiently wait for my SS to be shipped I have been lurking around checking posts about performance and how well this truck runs. To my dismay I have seen that a truck rated at 354HP is being taken by cars rated at much less. I know the truck weighs close to 6000 pounds and there will be a percentage of HP lost through the drive train, but I would have expected some better results. Even better ¼ mile times from stock.

I will be going from a turbo MazdaSpeed3 that was silly quick to a truck that seems to be substantially slower. Again I understand the weight and percentage from the drive train. I am very excited about getting the truck and look forward to “personalizing” it.

So that being said what can I do to help the truck perform better and increase the ponies without breaking the bank on a supercharger. It is being shipped with a PCMforless already installed. How will this help the performance?

Mine has neck jerking/AWD traction/stupid launch(fairly stock)... But it falls dead in 3rd....IMO...That's where I see the biggest hit in performance...of course more ponies will help...I'd love to have a tranny with a couple more gears...like the Denali's...

sadly...I think the best solution is to add about a 100 race inspired thoroughbreds

headers, catback, CAI cooler tstat plug wires and then get your truck retuned to those mods. These trucks are some of the most DEtuned vehicles gm has. The tune will help bring out another 30 hp and sometimes even better fuel economy.

The SS should be every bit as quick as your Mazda Speed 3. If you are looking to spend a little and get a lot I would go with:

-Shift Kits

Transgo HD2 shift kit $80-90 , Vette Servo (for HD2) $15-$20, FLT Accumulator Piston kit (for HD2) $20-$25

OR-Zippy Shift kit w/billet servos $230-$250.

-PCM Tune

Zippy

PCMforLess

Wheatley

($275-$400) ballpark for a tune depending on cores, etc.

-Others

SLP 160* Thermostat $25-$35

CAI (Volant, Outlaw, K&N, GMPP) $125-$250

That is just some suggestions for some better serious improvements under $500-Shift Kit, Tune, Stat, etc.

Exhaust, Headers are much more expensive, but either way I would do a tune, shift kit, and stat at some point.

Thanks all for the great information. I know it is a truck. I have had two Silverado's in the past, both with the 5.3L. I just wanted to get some ideas on where to start. I live in AZ so we have Arizona Speed and Marine who does great work with the superchargers and tunes plus a handful of other shops who could tune it for me. Also have a guy down the street who owns a performance transmission shop who said he could tweak the tranny. All the things mentioned and with the PCM already in the truck I am looking forward to having some fun.

Again thanks for all the info. More to come. :cheers:

Scooter, Try searching for info on the L92 setup. With a decent cam, the L92 heads, and the L92 truck intake, you can squeeze 450+ hp out of it and get it into the mid 13's with ease. You can do the L92 swap for probably about half or less than a supercharger. It was the route I was going to go until I caved into a blower. I agree with some of the bolt on suggestions, but I was NOT happy with all the money I spent on just bolt ons. If you do the L92 heads and cam, you will need a converter and headers.

Scooter, Try searching for info on the L92 setup. With a decent cam, the L92 heads, and the L92 truck intake, you can squeeze 450+ hp out of it and get it into the mid 13's with ease. You can do the L92 swap for probably about half or less than a supercharger. It was the route I was going to go until I caved into a blower. I agree with some of the bolt on suggestions, but I was NOT happy with all the money I spent on just bolt ons. If you do the L92 heads and cam, you will need a converter and headers.

Thanks man. That is some good info. Still learning about all this so I will do some research.