How Do I Get A Good Launch And The Strip?

diggerdan11

I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for me on how to reduce my quarter mile time and get a better launch. I was just hoping to get a good quarter mile time this year and i need some help. I know that some people use there tow/hall mode or something. any help would be nice.

Tow/haul is a no no when shooting for quicker ET's. It will make the truck shift sooner, and will be slower. Just do a brake stall off the line. My truck usually launches well from a 1600RPM brake stall. (FYI a brake stall is spepping on the brake and the gas at the same time, rev it to 1600 hold it there until you get the green light and step off the brake.)

Good luck! :thumbs:

* moving topic*

I myself have better 60ft times and overall ET by staging so I just barely light up the second set of yellows, hold to about 1000 RPMs and let her rip. If I go off idle, I get a tickle of KR (burst KR I assume) and if I hold her back to like 2K, I have a worse 60ft. My set-up requires a flash stall of the converter.

Everyone's launch will vary based on set-up.

reaction time is important too. Ive been told that after you stage, stall up and as soon as the last set of yellows hits right before the green say "go" in your mind and then leave.

R/T has nothing to do w/ your time.

last time i went to the track i was only trying to figure out my best launch only got 2 runs in before the clocks went down. did a dead stop punch and held brakes at 2k the dead stop punk was .04 slower in the 60 ft and all the other clocks were broke in that lane so i have no idea what i would have ran. It seems like my hardest launch is when you feel the truck try and lunge forward or almost lift up a tad bit thats where im going to try and launch from next time

As the resident drag racer here, I guess I should chime in.

As already stated, reaction time does nothing for elapsed time (ET).

Stage as shallow as you can for a quicker ET.

Stall only as high as you can before you start driving through the brakes. Stalling to 2800-3000 with a stock converter might be a little over zealous. You should be able to hold the brakes till about 2000 rpm.

With an AWD truck, stalling it up before launch is your best bet.

I would just leave it in drive and not worry about 3rd. If your truck shifts into overdrive in the quater mile, you have a gearing problem! I just leave mine in drive and I am well done with my pass before it would even think about shifting into 4th.

Good luck! :cheers:

Edited by RacerJJ (see edit history)