Depressed Job Market

SuperDave

If it helps any, to get you income quickly, Home Depot pays about $9/hour or so and offers medical coverage i'm pretty sure. I know it sucks but i had to take a job there a few years ago after a lay off. I'm in the IT field and these jobs are hard to come by in this area.

If it helps any, to get you income quickly, Home Depot pays about $9/hour or so and offers medical coverage i'm pretty sure. I know it sucks but i had to take a job there a few years ago after a lay off. I'm in the IT field and these jobs are hard to come by in this area.

Thanks for the reply, I'm only a High School Grad, and don't even know what Information Technology pertains to. What are the job requirements of this field, and job duties?

Thanks, David.

Im pursuing a degree in Applied Science and Ill be a Maintenance Tech in a factory. (Already got the position) Hours arent bad and pay is decent. If you dont mind mechanicin' then this is a great job. Ill be finishing my degree in May...hopefully

Im pursuing a degree in Applied Science and Ill be a Maintenance Tech in a factory. (Already got the position) Hours arent bad and pay is decent. If you dont mind mechanicin' then this is a great job. Ill be finishing my degree in May...hopefully

That's pretty much been the story of my life. I was a maintenance mechanic for a carpet manufacturer in Anadarko, OK and then went on to be a Tufting mechanic, which is the setup mechanic for the machines that sew, or "tuft" carpeting. It's a very technical and labor intensive job process but it only paid 9.05 an hour in the early 1990's. The company (Hollytex Carpet Mills) closed down.

I was a welder for a trailer manufacturer and rode that job into a supervisors position at Squatdown Trailers, which originated in California. They built trailer beds with an airbag rear suspension that lowered the bed to the ground to drive up on the inflated them and drove away with the vehicle. They were scam artists and got a bunch of investor capital then cut town with all the cash. My inlaws lost 40K there!

Needless to say, I outlast most of my jobs.... and need a secure full time good paying job so I can afford to sell my house and move away and restart the whole process over again.

I was also a oilfield worker or roughneck. I worked Derricks, motors, chainman, and lead tong or floorhand positions. Did that for 6 years. Hollytex for 7 years and Head pressman at the anadarko daily news for 12 years.

I guess I don't know what I want to be when I grow up, but I'm too grown up to go to school, and couldn't afford to go back to school at this time.

I never went to any College or Trade School for any positions other than to get certified in welding. Now I can't think of what to try next.

It really sucks!

Dave, with those skills, you should be able to find a job. Have you thought about trying haliburton or some other big government contract company? Offshore oil rigs pay big money as well...you work like 120days out to sea and then get a month off etc. Just an idea. No clue what your family situation is...

damn im sorry to hear about ur situation and i dont have very many suggestion for but maybe u should try looking in to city or county jobs (warehouse or procurement) thier easy and the pay is ok. if ur a certified welder try looking in to that here in Cali certified welders get paid pretty well. best of luck to u....

-Rob

Dave, with those skills, you should be able to find a job. Have you thought about trying haliburton or some other big government contract company? Offshore oil rigs pay big money as well...you work like 120days out to sea and then get a month off etc. Just an idea. No clue what your family situation is...

I've got a wife and a 14 year old son. That and an older sister in Cambridge, England and a younger sister in the SW OKC area. I hoped to find employment in the OKC metro area and buy a new home in a bedroom community, but it's gonna take top dollars for me to do so. I haven't welded in over ten years.

My wife needs a job at the same place as me or very near, she suffers from anxiety and has driving issues... it's really complicated. Her only work experience is ad design at the newspaper and she was the production supervisor there. She's worked for her mom and dad for over 25 years there, but left when I did because of low pay, and all the crap that goes on when you work with family. Like I said, it's really complicated and we've found ourselves out of a job, without insurance, and not much in savings to hold us over, with no family support and in a small rural SW Oklahoma town of about 6500 people with mainly american indian population and not a single manufacturing plant in town, no govt. offices except the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which hires American Indian preference and the biggest employer is the school system, which is corrupt in administration. It's a wonderful opportunity to get away from here, so I'm trying to make the jump.

I'm pretty worried about it, and appreciate all the input here. Like I said in other posts, it's a bad scene to find yourself in when most people are looking forward to retirement!

I have afew ideas, but first you need to get back on your feet. I agree with a lot of the suggestions here; starting to work at home depot or applying for govt. positions. Most of those positions start at $8 and your wife can try to work with a marketing company because of her experience. However its just as viable to work at the same place you are working at. Once you get back on your feet you can try to get an associates degree at a community college. It isnt too bad and many classes are offered in a on-line format. (I take many classes online myself) Everything is open book and you can try to complete it on your spare time.

Just a thought

Sorry to hear about your bad luck and wish the best for you. I work in a max security state run prison and there are alot of guys your age come into the system for work. Lots are retired military looking for another career for 10 to 20 years. In Pa you can retire in 15 years with benefits. I will say it can be a high stress enviroment and you are working with the worst people in society. Be careful about working for contract companies, they dont pay as well and do not take very good care of their employees. If you have any other questions just pm me and I will try to help ya. Been doing it 18 years and have been a union rep for a while. Good luck in your search for a new career!

I am a Engineering major (mechanical) that is graduating this May and the only problem engineers have with finding a job is deciding on which one.

Around here Wichita Falls isnt very big we start out around $55K a year if I want to move i can make alot more.

You should move further south and east... :jester: