Down Facing Va Up Facing Vs Forward Facing

phreak

i just finished installing two 10" idq.v3 in subthump's ultra deep box. needless to say, i'm not too impressed with the output. it hits hards on the higher frequencies (punchy bass) but not so much on the lows. bass isn't really that deep and sounds muddy. and these subs should be hitting deep. i have them powered by an autotek ss1500.1d (1100x1 @ 2ohms). so they're getting plenty of power.

i was just wondering if the response would be better if they were firing up or even forward. has anyone tried facing their subs in different directions and noticed an increase is output?

Personnaly ive never been a real fan of downfire boxes, i have my rockford fasgate p3 facing up and sound reall nice the only drawback is for the people sittn down back their ( whitch im always driving so i don't care) all they feel is the bump on their a$$ :D . But if u face them forward im sure u can get good sound quality too. P.s im not a system genious(sp?) im going by my experiences.

I prefer up-facing, that's what I have, and in my experiences the bass sounds tighter, just not as "boomy", when compared to a down-fire. I don't have experience with a front fire, but before you switch boxes, try filling your box with poly-fil stuffing and see if that makes any difference. I don't know if it will help in your case, since your box is already pretty big, but bass has always sounded better to me with a stuffed box.

Edited by E-man (see edit history)

thanks for the responses, guys.

what i'm gonna do later is use a couple pieces of wood to raise the box alittle. i wanna see if creating more space between the subs and floor will improve the output. i was searching various car audio forums and saw a couple threads where people were mentioning muffled/poor sound with downfiring boxes in silverados. others suggested the possible culprit could be the sub(s) being too close to the floor.

i'll try that and see how it goes.

The entire secret to massive boom in these trucks is getting the pressure wave to reflect off the back wall of the cab, ideally we want rear-firing enclosures; with the vehicle achitecture we have the only reasonable way to do that is using a downfiring box which in turn vents to the rear. If there is not enough venting at the rear of the box then it has limited "coupling" with the air in the cab; I have not seen the subthump boxes in person so I cannot guess if this is the case in their design but you are right in that if you experiment by lifting the box another inch (wild assed guess there) and pull the box forward an inch so it is not crammed right up against that rear cab floor upturn it might give some insight to your sub performance problem. Also consider that with a pair of 10's you will get a fair amount of volume in the cab and enough to start flexing the roof and back wall panels but it's not going to be a streetbeat block-pounder, so I don't know what your expectations are exactly. If the sub is loud enough for you now but just lacks "low-end extension" then you might try lining the interior walls of the enclosure with 2-3" of polyfil (cheap synthetic pillow stuffing), maybe even loosely stuffing 1/2 the box interior might encourage it to reinforce down to one octave lower. I know that is isn't much for answers to go on but hopefully a couple cheap ideas you can try to gain some insight into your install...

Mr. P.

thanks, mr. p.

well, i tried raising the box about an inch or so. sounded alittle better. not as muffled but still poor low end. i even flipped the box over so the subs were facing up. sounded good but again, very poor low end.

then i got to thinking... i'm still using the stock headunit with the pac converter. could this be the reason for poor low end performance? i wonder if there's some sort of low pass filter between the headunit and factory amp. maybe some audio gurus can chime in here.

i was hoping to keep my audio stealth. but... if spending a couple hundred bucks on a nice deck will solve the problem, then i see no reason not to.

thanks, mr. p.

well, i tried raising the box about an inch or so. sounded alittle better. not as muffled but still poor low end. i even flipped the box over so the subs were facing up. sounded good but again, very poor low end.

then i got to thinking... i'm still using the stock headunit with the pac converter. could this be the reason for poor low end performance? i wonder if there's some sort of low pass filter between the headunit and factory amp. maybe some audio gurus can chime in here.

i was hoping to keep my audio stealth. but... if spending a couple hundred bucks on a nice deck will solve the problem, then i see no reason not to.

where is your PAC plugged in at??? if its after the bose amp then that is your issue, if its right behind the deck then i would say to lower your crossover frequency to about 70hz and play from there. i perfer downfiring boxes and they way they couple to the front stage. but thats just me. keep us informed

where is your PAC plugged in at??? if its after the bose amp then that is your issue,
the pac is plugged into the bose amp. is there enough room behind the cd player for the pac to fit?

maybe i'll try connecting the amp to the other pair of rca's coming off the pac. doing some quick reading on them, it seems there's adjustable gains on the pac. i'll look at that as well.

well... it looks like the PAC is defective. i adjusted the gains and the output definetly increased. still lacking on the lower frequencies, though.

right now, i have the RCAs running from the rear left/right off the PAC. i tried running the RCAs off the front left/right but a loud constant buzzing sound was coming through the subs. i hooked the RCAs up to the rear channels and noticed that there is only a signal coming from the red RCA off the PAC. i can connect and disconnect the white RCA and the output from the subs doesn't change. i tried connected only the white RCA and there is no sound coming from the subs at all. now i'm no audio genious. but... i would think there should be a signal coming from both the red and the white RCA.

i tried connected the red rear and white front off the PAC and the sound level decreased.

i sent an e-mail to the ebay seller to request a replacement. hopefully that'll fix the issue. :wtf:

Edited by phreak (see edit history)

slow day at work so i did some searching on the forums. maybe my PAC isn't defective. :uhoh:

where i have the PAC connected to the bose amp isn't between the headunit and amp but after the bose amp. which explains why the low frequency performance sucks.

saturday, i will try connecting the PAC directly to the cd player. hopefully that will straighten everything out.

anyone know of an easy path to run the RCAs up to the headunit? doesn't look like it will be a simple task. :crazy:

slow day at work so i did some searching on the forums. maybe my PAC isn't defective. :uhoh:

where i have the PAC connected to the bose amp isn't between the headunit and amp but after the bose amp. which explains why the low frequency performance sucks.

saturday, i will try connecting the PAC directly to the cd player. hopefully that will straighten everything out.

anyone know of an easy path to run the RCAs up to the headunit? doesn't look like it will be a simple task. :crazy:

un-bolt your seats and run them under the carpet.. like they should be ran. don't do a half-assed job and go underneath the kick plates.