Email Responses And Union Issues

detjoe

LOng story short:

I was teaching in Detroit. I got laid off. I have emailed the union with a few questions, I usually CC the message to multiple people, ie the prez and a labor relations person. I have found out about a few positions where I might be able to bump someone/or the person retired mid year. i think I have some rights but dont want to go at the District unless the union has my back.

How would you feel if you did not get a response? I dont even need a long drawn out deal-'call us' or 'come to the office and we will see' would be good.

I have done this twice w/o a response and I am ready to go nuts and ...lets leave it @ I am pissedgr_mad.gif

confused, jobless, and my toes have been cold for two days

thx

updat one message to another, now I am getting voice mail. It is going to drive me nuts if I have to physically go up there to ask like 2 question they dont really care to answer. But on a good note I got some resolution with unemployment after not getting a chack in 5 weeks b/c I missed calling on my day, whick kick me out the next time when I was on the correct day. Frustrated!

It's a slow and aggraviting process. Send e-mails, make calls every day until you get a response, annoy them long enough, they'll want to get rid of you.

yep fill their email boxes and voice mail till their friends cant send anything to them and they might have to call back. It suck that I am still trying to work with this Union and for this district. It would be way different if they were at least looking forward and being proactive, IMO thay cant see the writing on the wall. But a check is a check :confused:

• 2 years later...

update: received notice last week. Thru a union arbitration I was awarded my job back. I have been out of work for three + years and was called back for a single week, Was called at AM staff meeting and told I was terminated...a full year later with alot of help from a real good labor laywer and union rep I won and will hopefully get a job back for the rest of this school year.

cliff notes:

taught for 4 years

laid off for 2

rehired for 1 week

fired in the second week

a year later I get my job back.

still waiting for the school district to follow the decision...dont know how long that will take.

should I get a turbo or a 2300 :devil:

crazy stuff. If you really want an email reply, have someone write some VB(visual basic) code for you to email them a million times in 1 second haha :jester: . I did something like that. I was messign around and used microsoft access to send a lot of emails to a budy of mine. Funny stuff

IMO anymore email is the least likely way to get someone's attention; most people have inboxes that are flooded so yours just goes abandoned (along with countless others). On something this important I would stick with face-to-face contact if you can, you cannot rely on email correspondence.

Mr. P.

Glad you finally got a response! Did you not have a job steward to contact?

Finally found a real person, I guess the union lost a few labor relation officers and with less staff my rep was super busy, but she got it done!

Unions suck :loser:

good luck in your dealings......what Union are you? Teamsters...etc..

They have ups and downs, too bad we risk losing all the good bc of some bad associated with them.

American Federation of Teachers/Detroit Federation of Teachers

IMO anymore email is the least likely way to get someone's attention; most people have inboxes that are flooded so yours just goes abandoned (along with countless others). On something this important I would stick with face-to-face contact if you can, you cannot rely on email correspondence.

Mr. P.

agree'd, but if anything email can get printed to show the member has been following up and repeated contacts, also it will give you a date and time for contact, phones wont and sometimes getting the dates right is very important.

Here is why unions are worth it:

From the decision: "The automatic termination of the grievant, was a denial of due process as required by the just cause provision within the collective bargaining agreement."

This is a root for why unions are good. You should have due process, and you should not get fired bc someone does not like you. :cheers: