The Time Has Come To Do Some Routine Maintenace.

YenkoChevelle69

People generally ask what part do I buy etc etc. I will making a running picture list of fluids, etc I used to help people later on.

I'm going to do the rear end fluids and cover gasket. I bought this.

HPIM0575.jpg

Transfer case will also have it's fluids changed and upgraded to autotrak 2.

HPIM0576.jpg

Mobile one synthetic fluid for the engine (6 quarts not pictured) and a pf46 filter.

HPIM0577.jpg

Can't forget the fuel filter (it's always neglected)

HPIM0581.jpg

HPIM0582.jpg

Plugs

HPIM0578.jpg

Wires

HPIM0579.jpg

HPIM0580.jpg

I'm not sure as of right now what to use in the trans and front diff.

Yenko

looks like you got most of it covered...where you get your MSD's and how much you pay for em if ya dont mind me askin?

Ben the cheapest price I have seen is from Summit Racing, $64.99 for the set.

Yenko, you can stay with Dexron III for the trans or upgrade to Dexron VI(synthetic).

:chevy:

Rear diff will require almost 3 bottles of gear lube; the front diff will require a little over 2 bottles so 5 for the entire job will work. Fluid for the rear axle, use synthetic without the posi additive and in the book it says you are supposed to use 80W90 but I use 75W90 Valvoline Synthetic and it works well. Front axle can be either synthetic or non-synthetic however you will get a tick better mileage with synthetic, again I use 75W90 instead of 80W90.

OK Transfer Case - factory fill is 2-qts ATF Dexron-III; I used GM Auto Trak fluid with very good results, good stuff. I will be using Dexron VI next time I service my transfer case. Any of these fluids will work very well, the synthetic ones will last longer.

Transmission - if you have the stock torque converter still, then use Dexron-III; if you have an aftermarket converter then you can go much longer between changes with synthetic ATF. Yes if you are still on the stock converter you can go 2 years between fluid changes on synthetic ATF but I do not believe in that practice as I like to change my transmission filter at least anually so Dexron VI is very expensive for stock application when you will be dumping the fluid in one year anyways, my 2-cents. One major advantage of synthetic ATF however is that it works fantastic at low temperatures because it still flows well when cold, so the transmission shifts well in those first 4-5 minutes in the morning rather than dragging the clutches between shifts. But again if you are using the stock converter my recommendation is to use Dex-III. DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE FILTER!

Engine Oil Filter - I use the tall Mobile-1 filter, part M-206; it is just like the regular Mobile-1 filter but more filtration surface area. I am sure K&N makes a similar filter. Another filter I will use is the regular Purolator filter (not the more expensive Pure One). I will not use any other brand of filter on my vehicles becuase they don't have adequate filtration or (more often) working anti-drainback valve.

Engine Oil - use a quality synthetic motor oil, the only thing I will consider running in my engine is (in my own order of preference) Mobile-1 0W-30 (naturally aspirated), Mobile-1 0W-40 (supercharged), and in a pinch the Mobile-1 5W-30 as called for in the owner's manual. Another oil product that I will run is AMSOil but I forget the weight... I change oil at 4500-miles, which for me works out to be about 15-20% remainder on the DIC oil life meter; again I do not believe in keeping oil in for many thousands of miles even when changing filters (the AMSOil extended service practice).

You forgot about lubing the tie-rods and ball joints. :D Other things you might consider - Seafoam treatment, clean the throttle body, clean the air cleaner.

Mr. P. :)

OOOOOO-kay. Firstly, THANK YOU for taking the time to write a small novel in response to my lame questions.

Air cleaner was just cleaned and reoiled last week.

Going to hit the suspension with lube. (and get an alignment)

Any reason you are going away from the Autotrak fluid?

Haven't seen the 0 weight Mobile one before. I'll look into that.

I also was NOT able to locate the mobile 1 gear oil in anything other than 75-90.

Seafoam will never go near my engine. I've read horror stories with regards to it.

OOOOOO-kay. Firstly, THANK YOU for taking the time to write a small novel in response to my lame questions.

Air cleaner was just cleaned and reoiled last week.

Going to hit the suspension with lube. (and get an alignment)

Any reason you are going away from the Autotrak fluid?

Haven't seen the 0 weight Mobile one before. I'll look into that.

I also was NOT able to locate the mobile 1 gear oil in anything other than 75-90.

Seafoam will never go near my engine. I've read horror stories with regards to it.

RE: Autotrak - the Dex-VI will be just as good in my judgment (it's fully synthetic) and costs a lot less.

RE: OW Mobile-1 - yeah won't be at wal-mart!

RE: Gear lube, 75W-90 full synthetic is perfect IMO.

RE: Seafoam, no prob check with the dealer parts man, GM has a similar product called TEC (top-end engine cleaner).

Mr. P. :)