Changing Front Differential And Transmission Fluid.

What is required to do the front dif? What type of lube and how much?

As far as the tranny, what fluid is best for a pan drop, can I use a 4l60e filter? I cannot find a 65e filter. Secondly, Do the midpipes need to be removed to get the pan down, and finally is it safe to do this on a trans with 82K assuming the fluid was never changed? Trans works fine right now.

And also, is the blue tube of posi lube necessary for our rears?

HPIM0575.jpg

Yenko, we chatted about this in the past, I would take it to a shop and let 'em flush that trans and change the filter........just dropping the pan only gets half of the fluid/contaminants out. I would do the same with the front diff seeing the track record they have in these trucks. :chevy:

Yenko, we chatted about this in the past, I would take it to a shop and let 'em flush that trans and change the filter........just dropping the pan only gets half of the fluid/contaminants out. I would do the same with the front diff seeing the track record they have in these trucks. :chevy:

I agree, the best bet is to have the tranny flushed and refilled. Probably cost you round $100

I am no expert but the front diff seems pretty straightforward. (Mr.P's how-to) I am planning on doing the rear diff and the front diff together.

Problem is that I am affraid that pressure flushing the trans will push "junk" around in the trans and mess it up.

We have done flushes on high mileage vehicles in my fleet (120k +) that had symptoms of impending trans failure, and have had them last another 25-30k because of the flush and crap removal. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by doing it. :chevy:

Problem is that I am affraid that pressure flushing the trans will push "junk" around in the trans and mess it up.

Flushing the transmission is a good thing to do, assuming you have a competent professional doing the job.

Mr. P. :)

sorry to hi jack, but where would one get all this done, at the dealership? and should it be done at a certain milage or something? thanks

Any reputable tranny or repair shop should be able to do this..........typically you should flush your trans every 25-50k depending on your driving style/habits. :chevy:

Unless you've blown the trans apart recently, don't flush it. Just a new filter kit from a GM dealer and some fresh Dexron III or VI will do the job. As for the fluids, make sure that you use 75W90 synthetic in the rear and pereferrably in the front also. Do not use any limited slip additive at all in the front or rear. The front is an open diff and won't matter, but in the rear it can cause a problem. The Gov-Lock unit in the rear is designed to not use that additive and using it can cause the locker to stick/stay locked in. A gov-lock sticking will drive around like a spool and will wear it out alot quicker as well as be very annoying.