Thinking L92....? Need Help!

Ok, first off I don't know much about cams/duration/lift, etc. I am relying on your guys' vast knowledge to help me figure out this future mod. I have searched and searched, but everyone is doing a different set-up with the L92 heads. I am a GMPP dealer though our Dealership, so obviously I can get parts for dealer cost and get them installed for free. What I need help with is the break down, my current mods are in my sig. Obviously I want the heads, but what rockers, springs, cam, intake, etc, etc. I would like to be able to order everything through GMPP and not have to go through someone else. Here is what I am thinking:

L92 Heads- Can I order them through GM assembled? If not, what do I need? Valve guides, seals, etc?

GMPP Cam?

Intake- GM Truck intake?

Rockers- GMPP?

Valves- GM stock/GMPP?

Valve Springs- GMPP?

Like I said since I am a dealer and a GMPP retailer I am looking to keep the costs down by going through GM/GMPP only. I am not that technical with engines and would appreciate any help please! Thanks!

Teddy :)

big savings I see!,

the heads are offered complete with cnc versions direct from gm.so you are good there,the intake well you will be better off trying to locate a take off,they dont come complete and buying everything new will eat up the savings,the rockers,pedestals and bolts are also all seperate but affordable.

As far as upgrading, I think you should consider better valves,for strenght with additional lifts,and upgrade springs and locks to match your future camshaft,rockers can be sent to harland sharp for a bearing upgrade and that will keep you in good hp for the long haul.

Cams..... well..........thats a tall order in it self to many varibles and they are tricky.

Good luck and keep us posted.....I am watching

:cool:

you just need the offset rockers, you can reuse the other 1/2

I am using the truck intake/90 mm throttle body, and hope it does not fall on its face @ 6000, but hey its a truck so making the power lower will help. But then your ET and trap speed might suffer???

I would look at the LS3 head, it has the better valves or the heads I am looking @ have manley valves

YOu might be able to run GM springs but these heads flow alot more @ .600 than .500 so an upgraded spring might be worth the extra cost.

I have wondered about using the LS7 cam:

210 Intake Duration

230 Exhaust Duration

116 Intake Centerline

120 Lobe Separation Angle

But then take into account the truck might like the power band lower than a vette so the cam needs to be custom ground and right now the guys who have them putting up good nubers are keeping them secret.

YOu might need bigger injectors, most likley

You will need a Dr X box or Speartech harness to use the throttle body

This stuff is so new you will be breaking ground and having to deal with people telling you crap about it wont work and might even have to try a few cams to see what gets these big ol' trucks into their sweet spot.

I am probably forgetting something...but lets break some ground here.

I will be looking into this in the very distant future unless I win the lottery soon. I recently saw that SLP was offering an L92 cam/head/intake package for close to $3000. I don't remember what the specs were, but I would probably lean towards that over the GMPP. :chevy:

Actually, to make it easy, I would just order the ASA or LS1 Hot cam from GMPP. Those two are mild cams, but make very good mid range HP/TQ and are easier to tune than anything running lift near the edge of the flow potential of the heads. Either of those cams should put you in the 500 HP area with headers/exhaust/intake. With the duration of those cams you can run the 2002+ Z06 springs too. I guess the question you really have to ask is: How much HP/TQ do you want?

Actually, to make it easy, I would just order the ASA or LS1 Hot cam from GMPP. Those two are mild cams, but make very good mid range HP/TQ and are easier to tune than anything running lift near the edge of the flow potential of the heads. Either of those cams should put you in the 500 HP area with headers/exhaust/intake. With the duration of those cams you can run the 2002+ Z06 springs too. I guess the question you really have to ask is: How much HP/TQ do you want?

Thats what I was thinking either a GMPP ASA or LS1 Hot cam. If that would work.? I am not looking to go crazy hp/tq, but I would like an improvement. So what would you suggest? Ported L92 from GMPP, Z06 springs, l92 stock valves (?), truck intake w/90 tb, etc, etc.? I would appreciate any help. Like I said, I am not too knowledgeable about heavy motor mods like this. Thanks again.

Teddy

I will be looking into this in the very distant future unless I win the lottery soon. I recently saw that SLP was offering an L92 cam/head/intake package for close to $3000. I don't remember what the specs were, but I would probably lean towards that over the GMPP. :chevy:

I would go SLP, but I am a GMPP dealer through our family dealership so I can get all GM/GMPP parts for dealer cost...If it turns out to not be a viable option, I might try to become an SLP dealer. We'll see.

SLP Car Intake Only!

Thats what I was thinking either a GMPP ASA or LS1 Hot cam. If that would work.? I am not looking to go crazy hp/tq, but I would like an improvement. So what would you suggest? Ported L92 from GMPP, Z06 springs, l92 stock valves (?), truck intake w/90 tb, etc, etc.? I would appreciate any help. Like I said, I am not too knowledgeable about heavy motor mods like this. Thanks again.

Teddy

Ls1 Cams DONT WORK on L92's Lot's of others spen't lot's of money on that one.

No port work needed if staying 6.0. If your only thoughts are mild then just install a cam and have your stock heads worked.You would be better off.Less money spent. MHO

If you look at the flow numbers @.500 and .600 you need the extra lift to see these heads shine. The the stock valves are weak @ that lift...so you need better valves, I thought I read the LS3 valves are better, but I cant confirm that.

Goto LS1tech and read the threads about L92's and cam selection...18 pages later your head will be spinning but you will better understand how these are a different beast...but a beast!

No port work needed if staying 6.0. If your only thoughts are mild then just install a cam and have your stock heads worked.You would be better off.Less money spent. MHO

LS1 "WILD" cams don't work for the L92 heads, but the ASA and Hot Cam work great for broad power range and about 500 HP peak on unblown applications. Great numbers for easy to tune cams with pretty short duration and both are available to him at cost through GMPP.

If you look at the flow numbers @.500 and .600 you need the extra lift to see these heads shine. The the stock valves are weak @ that lift...so you need better valves, I thought I read the LS3 valves are better, but I cant confirm that.

Goto LS1tech and read the threads about L92's and cam selection...18 pages later your head will be spinning but you will better understand how these are a different beast...but a beast!

The flow numbers at 600 lift won't do you much good on a NA 6.0L engine. For a street truck and the amount on knowledge that it "sounds" like he has, he should stick to something in the 230 or so duration and .525-.550 lift and doesn't need to go any larger to obtain his goals.

True, I am not looking to go wild, just something mild. I was thinking maybe some Patriot Stage I or II heads? What for a cam?

It would be nice to do the L92 set-up, but everything seems to be wishy washy right now. I have the means to get all the parts for this build, but the right set-up for an LQ9 SS doesn't seem to be achieved yet, and I really don't have the knowledge or tuning capabilities to keeping trying new parts if they don't work and continue to test new variables. I basically need someone to tell me...here is the parts you need...they are tested, true and run good...you should do this or get this.

Basically, I am looking for a nice mild set-up for dummies.... :D

Any suggestions?