Seems Like I Am Missing 3rd

Looking for some help. I am some what new to the forum: which is AWESOME!! I have learned a lot from everyone. Thanks.

Now to my issue. It seems at WOT my truck shifts fine 1st to 2nd, but 2nd to 3rd it seems to miss 3rd and tach out. If I let off the throttle and ease into it, it catches and shifts into 3rd. After this happens it seems to make a humming sound when I slow down. The humming sound follows the RPM's not the speed of the truck. Once I stop and put the truck into park and back into drive the sound is gone. If I drive "normal" the truck seems to shift fine, but really what fun is that. I am looking at doing some up grades to the tranny, like a Zippy shift kit that seems to upgrade everything in the tranny. I wanted to know what any one thought it might be and if they thought the shift kit may solve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice any one can offer.

Oooooooo, not so good. Sounds like you cracked an accumulator or have a bad solenoid. Since it works fine under normal load, I would lean towards the 3-4 accumulator having a crack or piece missing. The 3-4 is the one under the valve body, so you can do it while you're in there doing the shift kit.

How long have you been driving it like this? If it's only done it a couple of times, park it, and get the thing torn down to avoid further damage.

Okay, my first question to you is do you have a custom tune? If so it is possible that there is an issue in the tune with line pressure that is too high or shift parameters that are out of adjustment. Next it is possible that you have a faulty "B" shift solenoid or a burnt 2-4 band. I have been down this road before myself, and believe it or not, all three things listed here contributed to by problem. Now everything is fine. The whining noise you mention sounds like the torque converter, check your trans fluid level/condition. A shift kit may help, in fact they can help prolong trans life. How many miles are on your truck? In your case it sounds like your trans may need a tear down. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Thanks you guys for the input. The trucks got just over 80k on it. It does not have a tune, but it is in the mail on it's way back to me. It just seems strange that 1st and 2nd works fine, but 3rd just misses and 4th takes awhile to slide in as well. I wanted some input on it, because like I said I am looking at the shift kit. If the kit might help I will get that and go to the shop once with everything to get it repaired. Instead of paying twice to take it apart. It seems either way a tear down is my future, i just wish it was not winter to have to do it. Thanks again for the input and I will keep you guys posted on what I find.

Yeah, 50-80K is when they tend to go, even without a tune with torque management removed.

Just one thing, did you tell your tuner that you're going to be running a shift kit? They HAVE to know as otherwise they will change the pressure in the tune, and that can kill the pump when a shift kit is installed on top of it all.