Battery Dead After Sitting For 2 Weeks?

yttaf

Ok I just installed a new red top optima battery 2 weeks ago & has been sitting since. I went to get into the truck the other night & nothing would work. The battery was completely drained. I put it on the charger & later that night I checked it out in the dark & no lights were on. Glove box light is shutting off. Is this normal??? If not what might be causing the draining of the battery?

My truck goes dead if it sits for more than a month. I have the red top also. Just be carefull charging them, you need a special charger for the gel cell batteries. I found that out the hard way. I killed a new battery in alittle over a month.

Edited by thomp62301 (see edit history)

Inside is bone stock. Engine bay is stock except for cold air intake & red top battery.

Didn't know the red top takes a special charger?

If nothing else looks like I'll be starting it once a week or maybe just take the battery out while it sits.

The optimas are good, but sometimes those batterys sit for a while on the shelf. I always get customers come in with problems that they don't hold the charge.and as soon as they jump it it charges up but doesn't last long. So next time you get one make sure its fully charged, I'd say take it back for warrantty!

i would put a 20 amp. charger on it for a few hrs. and see what happens. like stated above, may not of had a good charge to begin with. if it still goes dead then you can take it back for a new one, or start trouble shooting your electrical system. first check to make sure nothing is left on, then i would have your alt. checked for a bad diode in it...

good luck

:seeya: