Exhaust ?

04rcss

hey everyone

i have a neighbor who is the biggest a@@hole ive ever known he has his toys (1968 camaro ss completely done over) ....diesel trucks .....loud chevelle....and he is now cryin to me about my flowmaster super 44 muffler on a silverado.....???!!!!???? wtf???.....he sais he is going to invole the police now and wants them to test it i said

f@$% you go ahead but i was wondering if any one knows for sure if it is illegal to have the muffler then dumped just before the axle..?? yes i got a sticker but muffler wasnt on when i got it. anyones help would be great. thanks

i know there is a certain DB level that cant be exceeded, they put the meter 10' away from your vehicle and test the exhaust, i just dont remeber the legal DB limit, as far as im concerned dumping the exhaust isnt illegal because many small comercial trucks come dumped all the time from factory

Don't know where you live, but here's our state law on mufflers:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

So according to our laws you are illegal. BUT most police will leave you alone IF YOU don't push their buttons, ie, revving the engine when going by them, getting on it all the time, or having neighbors call in complaints on you. Police hate "Neighborhood Disputes".

For what its worth, my son has a 78 Chevy 4x4 with a 383 stroker and a muffler that is as loud as heck and has never had a complaint on it. I've always told my kids to be good neighbors and turn their stereos down and soft pedal the exhaust coming and going from our neighborhood.

Don't know where you live, but here's our state law on mufflers:

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

So according to our laws you are illegal. BUT most police will leave you alone IF YOU don't push their buttons, ie, revving the engine when going by them, getting on it all the time, or having neighbors call in complaints on you. Police hate "Neighborhood Disputes".

For what its worth, my son has a 78 Chevy 4x4 with a 383 stroker and a muffler that is as loud as heck and has never had a complaint on it. I've always told my kids to be good neighbors and turn their stereos down and soft pedal the exhaust coming and going from our neighborhood.

thats just it i dont drive crazy fast or anything stupid no radio noise.....hes just starten a war

this is for CA.

Table of Contents for Article 2 of Chapter 5 of Division 12 of the California Vehicle Code

Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

© The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.

Amended Ch. 558, Stats. 1977. Effective January 1, 1978. Supersedes Ch. 579.

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

Amended Sec. 10, Ch. 92, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002

WELCOME, to the peoples Republic of California.... :banghead:

:seeya:

i say you get long tube headers and a cutout.. just my opinion. :D

yea i liek that opinion hes made me so angry i would love to shell out the cash for them two!!

and too others i live in massachusetts so...cali and washington laws are out of the question but thanks anyways

this is bigger then the noise from your truck. what got him started??? You might call the local PD and give them the story(not about the legality of your exhaust but him threatening you and using your truck as a excuse) and ask, then if he calls all bitchy then you are on the record about doing the right thing.

this is bigger then the noise from your truck. what got him started??? You might call the local PD and give them the story(not about the legality of your exhaust but him threatening you and using your truck as a excuse) and ask, then if he calls all bitchy then you are on the record about doing the right thing.

woaaa thats a sick idea if i call first he will look like a joke.....i like the way u r thinkin thanks man i didnt think this mattered but i use to work for him and his sons construction company over the summer to save some cash for college and i quit halfway through cus i couldnt deal wit his attitude it suked so bad.....but that was 6 months ago kinda weird for him strt it now....i wish i didnt live wit my parents beleive me i would def be giving him hell but they kinda dont want to worry all the time bout what hes watches us do and shit liek that so they told me to keep it easy and not go so crazy or els ide have all my friends over my house haven a " rev em up light em up party" :D

Cops should let you be as long as you are not sitting in your driveway revving to 6k all day long. If your just doing the normal driving bit he really has no case against you. And if you do have to do something about it b/c of him, I would ask him to cover the cost of getting it fixed since he was so concerned about...

I have a guy down the road that looks at me funny, and so does his wife, they may be retarded.

Kind of a similar situation....I have learned how to deal with it by revving, burning out, and blasting the Bose when I pass his house. But I still also wave and smile.

But pigs don't really mess with people about loud pipes and stereos much around here, so that may not work in your locale.