402 Crate Motor

What do you guys think of this motor?

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?...mp;BIG=12525M-1

As much as my head is hurting from all I've read lately, what else do I need besides;

90mm TB from TBSS/ GTO/etc.

DrX

Tune of Course.

Some creative plumbing for water pump.

3000 stall TC

Anything else ?

Is the cam too big for towing/DD ? Too much stall for towing ? Thoughts or suggestions ?

Why Slp for a few hundies more? A few reasons, mainly the warranty. I've had good luck with other stuff from them in the past. You can buy their stuff from GM dealers. I guess a little piece of mind and less hassles for me.

And yes, I know I could buy all the pieces to build a motor up for even less $$ and make more power....but it is a DD.

Why Slp for a few hundies more? A few reasons, mainly the warranty. I've had good luck with other stuff from them in the past. You can buy their stuff from GM dealers. I guess a little piece of mind and less hassles for me.

And yes, I know I could buy all the pieces to build a motor up for even less $$ and make more power....but it is a DD.

you're not going to feel much of a difference building a 408, over a 402.. they'll pretty much be about the same streetability-wise if they're built similiar.

also, if you ever decide to go with some boost or spray you'll regret going with the aluminum block.. and don't tell me you won't ever think about it, because if you're even thinking about building a 402 or a 408, you'll always think about adding more power. trust me.. it's the mod bug.

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)

Just check out www.texas-speed.com They are highly trusted in the performance community and you can choose a little more from what you want. Also, SLp offers an iron block 402 assembly and thats what you want. Stick with the truck intake and call them and ask them about a truck performance cam to meet your needs. SLP will do a one off cam grind for you and they have several cm grinds they dont advertise, but have been proven and tested.

you're not going to feel much of a difference building a 408, over a 402.. they'll pretty much be about the same streetability-wise if they're built similiar.

also, if you ever decide to go with some boost or spray you'll regret going with the aluminum block.. and don't tell me you won't ever think about it, because if you're even thinking about building a 402 or a 408, you'll always think about adding more power. trust me.. it's the mod bug.

It is an Iron block....LQ9 block to start with.

Just check out www.texas-speed.com They are highly trusted in the performance community and you can choose a little more from what you want. Also, SLp offers an iron block 402 assembly and thats what you want. Stick with the truck intake and call them and ask them about a truck performance cam to meet your needs. SLP will do a one off cam grind for you and they have several cm grinds they dont advertise, but have been proven and tested.

I didn't have much luck looking for the L92 truck intake...will it take a 90mm TB ? I guess I could ask SLP to give me the truck instead of the car intake.....

I really know nothing about cams, but this motor has their 51016 cam that is supposed to kinda RVish...link to dyno..power is mid range peak torque at 4400rpm ( 568 I think ).

http://www.slponline.com/coming_soon_l92.asp

Edited by FwyFlyr (see edit history)

I didn't have much luck looking for the L92 truck intake...will it take a 90mm TB ? I guess I could ask SLP to give me the truck instead of the car intake.....

I really know nothing about cams, but this motor has their 51016 cam that is supposed to kinda RVish...link to dyno..power is mid range peak torque at 4400rpm ( 568 I think ).

http://www.slponline.com/coming_soon_l92.asp

The intake is the L76 intake and I am pretty sure you can get it in a package with a 90m TB,fuel rails and injectors pretty reasonably!

The intake is the L76 intake and I am pretty sure you can get it in a package with a 90m TB,fuel rails and injectors pretty reasonably!

Shows how confused I am about some of this.....The motor comes with L76 intake. I understood it was a car intake not truck....?

Just check out www.texas-speed.com They are highly trusted in the performance community and you can choose a little more from what you want.

Get in touch with Matt Craft from Texas Speed. :cheers: Tell him that Kevin Rambo sent ya :thumbs: You can send him an E-mail at [[email protected]]. I just researched about 6 top notch builders and I settled on TS. SLP was in the running however they didn't give me the personal attention that Matt has (I naturally had alot of questions and comments :smash: ). I chatted with Matt a couple of times today alone.

Get in touch with Matt Craft from Texas Speed. :cheers: Tell him that Kevin Rambo sent ya :thumbs: You can send him an E-mail at [[email protected]]. I just researched about 6 top notch builders and I settled on TS. SLP was in the running however they didn't give me the personal attention that Matt has (I naturally had alot of questions and comments :smash: ). I chatted with Matt a couple of times today alone.

Ok, I have looked at them and will talk with them before I pull the trigger...What did they do for you warranty wise ?

Yeah, more personal attention is def worth alot. Thanks!

It is an Iron block....LQ9 block to start with.

i'm semi-retarded.. don't listen to me. i didn't read that.. most 6.0 iron blocks are almost always bored out to a 408 and the aluminum block is bored out to a 402.. that's what confused me. :rolleyes:

slp is still over priced though..

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)