Thermostat

stroked out

yeah thats what i was thinking. im looking at a kenbell 160 degree thermostat and someone was telling me that these can cause problems with these engines, like reducing engine life. is this true? it sounds werid to me. i thought a cooler engine would last longer...

...you can put a cooler tstat in. BUT you would have to get your pcm retuned or you would LOSE effiecency. Your truck would drink the gas even more than what it does now. Do a search on thermostats. I think youll find TONS of info on them

well the purpose of a thermostat is to run the engine cooler. which will let you add timing and net some power. only reason i can see having shorter engine life is by adding the power but on your setup i hardly doubt it makes it a difference

on a stock truck by adding a t stat your pcm will add fuel trying to heat the engine up to normal temp getting you bad fuel economy.

Even a Hypertech programmer will require a t-stat change.

Sorry to say that is not correct, I had a Hypertech before my custom tune and it DID NOT require a 160 T-stat. :nono:

Basically a 160 stat will keep things running a tad cooler, will allow you to pull a bit more timing for more power, but requires tuning in order to keep from draining your gas tank quickly. You can pick up an SLP 160* T-stat from Summit for around $25. :chevy: