Edelbrock Heads And Mild Cam

not a big fan of edelbrock heads, but i know that WCCH sells those heads with their own porting and are suposed to be real nice. as far as cam goes a 220/220 .550"/.550" would me mild and you would probably want a 2600-2800 stall to add to the list as well

I was told once to get a LS6 cam so i was wondering if this is a good package and if this would be better with out the heads? As you can tell I don't know much about this stuff. Thanks for the help.

http://item.express.ebay.com/COMP-CAMS-BBC...cmdZExpressItem

My suggestion is to look at the DART PRO LS1 heads. Probably look at the 205cc heads as the 225cc heads might be a bit too much and sacrifice low end torque for daily driving. Not much more money than Edelbrocks, but I feel they are better built, great for street or strip and they do flow better than the edelbrocks for sure. Also, that cam is definetly mild. You probably wont need to change the converter for that cam, but honestly, if you are going to do this and want to keep daily driveability, I would recommend going with a comp cam XR grind like XR281 or XER273. Those will provide more power overall and I think you will be very happy. They might require a small converter, like a trailblazer converter, but it will still be very streetable and wont rattle your teeth out of your head.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

An intake swap is not necessary, but would help upper rpm's.

Lets start with this. What is your budget?

There are alot of "combos" out there that will produce results. I just dont want you to drop $XXXX and be unhappy with the results or left wanting more. You might want to look at shadowsniper's setup. He tipped into the low 13's with his head and cam combo. Also, if you have the budget and the desire for amazing gains with a head and cam swap, an intake swap will help tremendously. The easiest swap to go with would be L92 heads (flow about as well as DART heads and cost less), Matched cam, and L92 truck intake. The new intake will take advantage of the new cam as it flows better in the upper rpm ranges than the LQ9/4 intake does. You would probably want to see zippy for cam info to go with an L92 setup. You can buy the heads, cam, and intake for well under $2k for a L92 setup. Good luck.

An intake swap is not necessary, but would help upper rpm's.

Lets start with this. What is your budget?

There are alot of "combos" out there that will produce results. I just dont want you to drop $XXXX and be unhappy with the results or left wanting more. You might want to look at shadowsniper's setup. He tipped into the low 13's with his head and cam combo. Also, if you have the budget and the desire for amazing gains with a head and cam swap, an intake swap will help tremendously. The easiest swap to go with would be L92 heads (flow about as well as DART heads and cost less), Matched cam, and L92 truck intake. The new intake will take advantage of the new cam as it flows better in the upper rpm ranges than the LQ9/4 intake does. You would probably want to see zippy for cam info to go with an L92 setup. You can buy the heads, cam, and intake for well under $2k for a L92 setup. Good luck.

my truck is slow, he's lying....

If you want to spend the cash i would say afr heads are the best. But if i did it all over again, on my budget i would look at the dart heads. I know one guy who ran low 13's with the dart heads in a vho with less cam then mine. The TEA heads i have seem to be working great but they are close to being maxed out when Darts flow almost the same out of the box. Don't be worried about a 220/220 .550,.550 cam, zippy can give you a tune and you'd never know that cam is there. If you want to take full advantage of it get a converter..at least 2600, but i would put a 2800-3000 in it because i under stalled my cam and now i'm paying for it. A 2600-2800 will drive easy, but i would think about a cooler if your in a hot weather area but i don't think it would be required at that stall.

The l92 set up seems to be making some power, there are a couple of good articals on it but i would talk to zippy to see if it fits your goals.

Brad

13.356 is not slow shadow...especially for a stock block with pretty much a heads and cam. I remember you were not happy with the TEA heads.

From what i have seen the tea heads are about as good as 317 heads can get. Like i said though, they are almost maxed out and afr's, darts flow as good or very close to right out of the box. So i like the heads, but i think i made some choices that could have been better. I also think my heads might be flowing to high for my motor, i think a little more compression might help to suck the air/fuel through the larger runners and increase the effiency of the whole combo. However it does work as it is, and good. The l92 flow as good as the tea heads up top at .600 but flow much better through the whole lift range, so i think they are worth looking at, but I don't have the experience to say a mild cam stock cubed motor can benifit from that flow with out hurting low range/speed more. I'm not sure at what point the straw gets to big and you have the potential to get volume but the mixture travels slow because it has no volocity. So the tea heads work great, i was just wondering if it was to great. We did the same thing on my nova, we had 190 cc runners on dart heads and then put 210 cc runner AFR heads on and we lost a lot of power on the bottom, but we still made enough power up top to get 2 tenths faster at the 1320.

Brad

Thats not a bad kit , except you would have to do some extensive modifications to use that "car" manifold. That car manifold wont clear the waterpump neck or idler pulley on the LQ9. Thats why you would want to use the L92 "truck" intake manifold. That way, you wont have to customize or modify much to use it and still have gains over the stock LQ9 truck manifold. I know we are getting a little confusing, but thats the jest of it. The beautiful part is that you can order the L92 heads from just about any GM dealer as they are an off the shelf part, but flow so well. You can also order that GM hot cam from that package from any GM dealer. You can probably get the heads, cam, intake, and offset L92 roller rockers for well under $2,000.