Launching On Cut Outs?

packjh

Should i launch on cut outs or launch then immediatly open them?? My friend and i have been discussing this to try and figure out which would be better for getting out of the hole? I was thinking i would have more low end torque with the them closed but have more high end hp with them open so i would launch go about 3 and a half ft and open them and ride them all the way down. I thought id just ask and see what your experience was and get some good advice

Edited by packjh (see edit history)

Havnt even opened them yet... i going to get my friend to wire them in today if i feeling any better. Oh and the tailgate...nope not going to work i ran a 14.05 then took tail gate off and rain 14.14 and 14.13 right after. I know i didnt change anything as in driving and the weather well it may have cooled one degree in that time so experimenting with my tail gate is done. Ill try 3 runs with cut outs....closed open and closed on start then open afterwards

Havnt even opened them yet... i going to get my friend to wire them in today if i feeling any better. Oh and the tailgate...nope not going to work i ran a 14.05 then took tail gate off and rain 14.14 and 14.13 right after. I know i didnt change anything as in driving and the weather well it may have cooled one degree in that time so experimenting with my tail gate is done. Ill try 3 runs with cut outs....closed open and closed on start then open afterwards

Call me stupid but I don't see how you can run faster with a tailgate :dunno:

Call me stupid but I don't see how you can run faster with a tailgate :dunno:

Ur not stupid...but myth busters proved it that tail gate up is better airflow... and down creates more drag...i know that when you think about it it makes no sense at all but hey i times to prove that i gained almost a tenth on my times when i took my tail gate off... so what can i say

i know my truck is alot different but with my cutouts open my truck feels a bit slower down low. i do have a good flowing exhaust though.

and ive tried the tail gate down and up , same times either way. also same with a tonnoeu , lighter weight gets you going down low but helps up top with aerodynamis. now if you had a tonnoeu you could run no tail gate.

*Moving topic*

I always have had better results with the tailgate off compared to all other configurations. For some reason, the Gaylord bed cover made little if no difference if left on or taken off. The cover weighs about 100#'s. I would have thought that cutting 100 pounds would have an impact :dunno:

Should i launch on cut outs or launch then immediatly open them?? My friend and i have been discussing this to try and figure out which would be better for getting out of the hole? I was thinking i would have more low end torque with the them closed but have more high end hp with them open so i would launch go about 3 and a half ft and open them and ride them all the way down. I thought id just ask and see what your experience was and get some good advice

IMO i would not put a cut out on a vehicle for performance benifits with minimal mods done to the engine. Unless you want the load noise-cool factor. Cut outs help a lot when you are making a good deal of power. Your cam is not radical spec wise. Please post up the #'s with it open or not, it will be an interesting topic.

i'm glad this came up, i just reworked my exhaust system I took my Doug e-cutouts and put them right after the headers (had them after the cats before) ran off of them with 3" pipe to a single flange to one high flow cat from there to the muffler and out the back tuck up under the rollpan all done with 3" pipe

a friend did it this way and notice no different from having it with duel cats and mufflers,(and I like the sound better) when he runs it, he has his cutouts open and he's time is cut from before when the cats was before the cutouts