Another Close Call

Krambo

Well, I guess it was a good thing I looked at my cats again. I glanced down the pipe on the driver's side during the motor pull and noticed the beginning of a meltdown. The metal substrate is flaking away and collapsing on itself. I can't say I am really surprised but geez, just another thing to work on now. For those who do not know, the cats are a 3 inch metal substrate high flow design with the same configuration as Random Technology. Cat converters just do not like running on a supercharged motor in the 11.5-11.9AFR range at all. My first cats crapped the bed in the same fashion. Here are some pictures:

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

The new build will not include cats...shells maybe :P

doesnet surprise me at all. it just grinds my gears that the companies try to put the fault on the consumer when they can not witstand force induction applications.

this is the exact reason i run dummies

That sucks man. Chase, you had the same thing happen right? Has anyone without FI had this happen? Should us guys w/ minimal mods be worried too?

i'll let you all know when i check mine soon. i have the same cats that chase used from magnaflow (P/N:59959), and i'm alittle concerned one of em could be bad, but i think they'll be fine.

Sweet. I havent done much looking but the two that I know of are FI...Maybe they won't hold up with a s/c in front of them :shakehead: Speaking of that...Anyone spoken to maganflow about them melting and not holding up? Did they say anything about n/a vs. FI? Thanks! :cheers:

Sweet. I havent done much looking but the two that I know of are FI...Maybe they won't hold up with a s/c in front of them :shakehead: Speaking of that...Anyone spoken to maganflow about them melting and not holding up? Did they say anything about n/a vs. FI? Thanks! :cheers:

i doubt the n.a guys will have troubles , they dont see the egt wr fi guys see.

i wrote magnaflow and they said it was operator error , i had pics but they wanted me to take them to them for them to inspect, i mean there wasnt much to inspect. so i just did the free and easy thing and pulled out the flow resisting material.

doesnet surprise me at all. it just grinds my gears that the companies try to put the fault on the consumer when they can not witstand force induction applications.

this is the exact reason i run dummies

Yea, any catalytic converter will have trouble with the "rich" "hot" atmosphere of FI. I am glad I discovered them now and not 6 months from now. They were just starting to fail.

Oh yea, rest assured that they will be poked out for a true high flow design. :lol: