Bonneville

SS_bnoon_SS

I just watched "The Fastest Indian" this weekend and got the bug to take the SSS out there to see if it could make it into the 130 club (standing start to 130 in 1 mile). Has anyone ever attempted this in an SSS? It's just an idea at this point, but I'm wondering just how real of a dream is it? Only about 60 cars/drivers have made it, and only 11 are in the 150 club (150 MPH in standing start 2 mile run). There's a bit of exclusivity here... and at the VERY least, I want to go as a spectator some year soon.

As a side note, about LSR Mike, is Bonneville where he runs??? I don't know much about him, I've just replied to a few of his posts in the past. Any info would be appreciated.

IM001185.JPG

I use my SS to Haul my little Truck to the Salt. The 130 and 150 Clubs are a USFRA www.saltflats.com operations. and your a bit off on how to gain membership into those clubs http://www.saltflats.com/I30%20Club.html The course is actually 3 miles long. the "measured mile" is where you need to "average over 130 in same day passes" without exceeding 140 MPH .The Speedweek event and World Finals are put on by the SCTA/BNI http://www.scta-bni.org organization, which you saw in WFI. Interesting note, they were filming there during the World Finals in 2004. Saw a lot of vintage Iron, yes they all ran, and several current racers were extras in the Movie. Back to running at Bonneville. You need to have a Full Roll Cage, racing seat (no padding) Fire system, on and on. I wouldn't want to strip my truck to make the safety rules needed for Bonneville. You CAN run in the ECTA http://www.ecta-lsr.com at Lauringburg, NC without the restrictive safety rules of the SCTA As long as you keep it under 130, over a 1 mile timed course on a 2 mile concrete runway. There is a Dodge SRT that runs there on occasion.

Edited by LSR Mike (see edit history)

Actually, in the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association's 130 MPH Club you only need a 4 point cage if you're an open air car. For stock roof vehicles, only the roof and factory belts are needed to pass tech, no special seats or anything. The 150 class requires a cage, seat, and 4 (or 5) point harness.

Basically for me to run the truck, I would need a few new items, like a small fire extinguisher securely mounted inside the vehicle and driveline loop (if indeed it's needed at all since the full frame and trans cross member should clear tech). I was on that site getting info prior to my post, but I got excited and combined way to much information about the different organizations that run out there. Sorry about that...

They also have an open road event in Nebraska, which would be close to home, but having side winds on a highway would be a LOT more scary than having one blow me sideways on the open salt!!!

LSR Mike, what's your little truck run anyway?

Also, from the course description for the 130 club, here's what is mentioned in their link to a "First timer's" account of running his Audi.

"To gain entrance to the 130 Club, one must take their vehicle from a standing start to 130 mph within one mile. At the one mile mark there is a 132 foot trap that takes your final speed."

The little truck runs 120 and change, record holder for the ECTA. The usfra has different rules for the lower speed classes. The SCTA/BNI, i.e. the Speedweek Sanctioning Body eliminated the under 130 rules about 3 years ago after a bad crash that injured the driver pretty badly.

Your on the right track though, check into the rules of the sanctioning body your going to run with. the 130 Club would be a nice thing and ANYTIME you can run on the Salt is pure bliss (imho), hell I love just driving in to the pits in the morning, about a 5 mile cruise at 80 MPH.

Oh yeah, that time slip was signed by Monty Warnock, been on the Salt for over 20 years....

If I won the lotto, I would build an SSS for the Production Truck class at Bonneville. I can't remember what the record was, but I figured out by poking around the internet that it would take around 900-1000HP to get close to the record. Thats what the current record holder has for HP, the truck is an old style Chevy X-Cab SB.

As fun as Bonneville sounds, I would never want that much salt on my SSS, winter driving is enough already. :uhoh:

........and got the bug to take the SSS out there to see if it could make it into the 130 club (standing start to 130 in 1 mile). Has anyone ever attempted this in an SSS? It's just an idea at this point, but I'm wondering just how real of a dream is it?

I know this doesn't count, but I got my SSS up to 125mph on an empty straight stretch of road here, couldn't have been more than 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 miles long. :P:chevy: