To Cut Or Bolt On?

Tzer

Cut or Bolt on?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Billet Grill's

• Cut out the OEM Grill's?
    • Bolt over OEM Grill's?

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this has been covered before but I'm a virgin SS owner and want to do the Billet Grill as well as the SS Bowtie of course.

I've seen pictures of Bolt On Grill's and Im not to sure if I'd like that or not. From the closes up's I've seen you can really see the OEM grill pretty good but I haven't really found pictures (Close Up's of the two to compair them).

It seems that the "Bolt On Grill's" stick out further / flush with body. Do the "Cut Out Grill's" retain the stock location of the OEM or are the as forward as the Bolt On's?

Thanks for your time.

Tzer

Yea I'm leaning toward the cut out. I would love to find a side by side image to compair. I had cut out the grill in my 95 Z-71 and it was no big deal, In fact I don't even think there was a "bolt over" choice back then.

I was more concerned with if the cut out grill stuck out as far as the bolt on? I think if the billet face / front sticks back to where the OEM is it might look a little nicer, More 3D'ish so to say.

I did notice one of the webs on my OEM grill was broken out, So it isn't a perfect grill so I can really go either way here.

@ smoke03 The truck is Victory Red. I thought about just painting the orignal grill black.

I suppose one has to purchase either bolt in or bolt over grill's, I'm sure it's two diffent kits.. I planned on the 5 pc set.

Thank you for your input :cheers:

Tzer

mine had a the grill cut out with billet grill installed when I bought it. Whoever did it before did a crappy cutting job, but mine sits pretty well flush with the front of the grill

it does look a ton better not being able to see the stock grill behind it though.

Edited by yttaf (see edit history)

mine had a the grill cut out with billet grill installed when I bought it. Whoever did it before did a crappy cutting job, but mine sits pretty well flush with the front of the grill

it does look a ton better not being able to see the stock grill behind it though.

So do you think it set's further back then the bolt on type or about the same?

I believe they will sit the same. I would do a bolt over.

Yes I think your right NTMD8R_SS.

I'll most likely do the bolt over. Looking at the Poll atm @ 9 to 1 in favor of bolt over. That seems the route to take especially if the end results is about or near the same. Seems the majority of SSS.com is using the B.O. LOL I just had to say it that way. *Chuckles*

I'll keep watching this poll but at the rate it's going so quickly I'd say. We can all tell what the outcome on this topic is going to be.

Thank you guys soo much for the input and to Fireman31 & KissMySilvSS for posting pic's. Both your trucks are BEAUTIFUL!

So Carriage Works bolt over's is the best choice or are people getting decent results on the $150.00 shipped sets off Ebay?

The price doesn't concern me much, just wonder if anyone is using the Ebay one's and if they looked as good as the Carriage Works. (I know you get what you pay far). See my sig. LOL

Tzer

Edited by Tzer (see edit history)

IMO, I would pay the little bit extra and go with a Carriage Works 5-PC set. The fit and finish is among the best for bolt-on grilles! I have installed over 10 (5 of them mine, 5 for friends and customers) and they all bolt-up flush and look great!

IMO, I would pay the little bit extra and go with a Carriage Works 5-PC set. The fit and finish is among the best for bolt-on grilles! I have installed over 10 (5 of them mine, 5 for friends and customers) and they all bolt-up flush and look great!

Thanks once again. I'll go that route. Now if I can just find the post where Fireman31 said he purchased his. I looked at it a couple days ago and they were having a Valentines day sale :cheers:

Guess I could PM him if he's online.

The Mods Begin. Next finding the Bowtie.

Tzer