Now I Know Why Aem Calls Them "brute Force"

misterp

Hey Mr P, it's cool to see someone else w/these same headers (but mine are on a 5.3)! I had no trouble getting mine in after cutting off the cats, but after driving it around I noticed there was a horrible rattling sound at times. I took a look and noticed a the driver side header was not just touching it, but right up against the firewall heat shield! Not trying to hijack here, but you think it will be all right to take it off or maybe cut off the area where the header hits?

Other than these clearance issues, these headers are pretty badass, hope you like em. :thumbs:

P.S. I had no problems with the passenger side, so hopefully you don't either.

Hey Mr P, it's cool to see someone else w/these same headers (but mine are on a 5.3)! I had no trouble getting mine in after cutting off the cats, but after driving it around I noticed there was a horrible rattling sound at times. I took a look and noticed a the driver side header was not just touching it, but right up against the firewall heat shield! Not trying to hijack here, but you think it will be all right to take it off or maybe cut off the area where the header hits?

Other than these clearance issues, these headers are pretty badass, hope you like em. :thumbs:

The driver's footwell heat shield is held in with three nuts, undo them and you can probably pull the heat shield out; you might have to undo the driver's side motor mount and lift the engine with a jack on that side to make enough room to slip the tin out. You want to remove this, because any "ringing" will be heard by the knock sensors and the knock sensor module will tell the PCM to pull timing on you.

I saw the heat shield there, and I guessed that with removing it I could probably squeak the header in there but still it would probably rub against the firewall when the tranny shifted and I am a believer in generous clearance anyways so I bashed on the heat shield/floor until I had enough clearance, there's a finger-width between the header and the heat shield/floor now.

A good general rule of thumb to remember is that you want MINIMUM 1/4" clearance between all moving parts; if the parts are heat-sensitive, you want minumum 3/8" clearance; on any accessory belt where the "span" is longer than about 5-inches between pulleys you want 3/8" to 1/2" clearance (belts will 'whip' a lot).

Thanks for the luck on the pass-side, my only worry is on the tranny cooler lines, we'll see how that shapes-up tonight.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Could be the difference between 2WD, and 4WD/AWD.