Harness

wayne0312

Hey, it's an 08 Silverado 1500 and the harness was one that plugged right into the back of the HU. There are two harnesses back there, perhaps one for XM? Anyways, I cut through one and lost all power to car. It won't turn over. Was one of the wires an ignition wire that shouldn't have been cut through?

and this my friend is why somethings are better left to the professionals...

at this point if i were you i would swallow my pride and have it towed to the dealership and let them fix it.

good luck.

Thanks, but before I do just that, I'd still like to know if it is possible I cut through the ignition wire, cause it had to be something I cut because nothing else was touched. But I can't imagine something needed to start the car is included in the audio harness??

The GM systems have a lot of information passing through the harness, not just audio. You are lucky you didn't set off the airbags and severly hurt yourself. I would search the net for a wiring diagram if you want to learn what the wires are primarily for. did you try to connect all the wires back to each other? Basically you are doing open heart on your truck. Be careful man. Electrical issues are the worst possible problem you could ever have.

disconnect the battery! try to hook them back up.

and as Big O said the newer trucks with the CAN bus have alot of data going into the truck...you might try GM-truck.com they had alot of technical info.

IMO, on a newer truck I would not cut a single wire, they have harnesses for that. I just put a radio back into an old ass dodge and it was not fun bc the harness was all cut up...nut it was a work truck so it did not matter

The GM systems have a lot of information passing through the harness, not just audio. You are lucky you didn't set off the airbags and severly hurt yourself. I would search the net for a wiring diagram if you want to learn what the wires are primarily for. did you try to connect all the wires back to each other? Basically you are doing open heart on your truck. Be careful man. Electrical issues are the worst possible problem you could ever have.

:withstupid:

Its time to just tow it to the dealer and let them tell you what is wrong with it. I wouldn't screw with it any more.

if the harness you cut off is long enough, SOLDER them wires back together. BUT BEFORE YOU DO THIS, disconnect the battery. the new GM stuff is CAN buss as mentioned before. your computer in the truck has to see a "healthy" system in order to start the truck and run properly.

Good Luck, you are facing something i wouldnt wanna face in your predicament. this could get costly real fast!

<br />if the harness you cut off is long enough, SOLDER them wires back together. BUT BEFORE YOU DO THIS, disconnect the battery. the new GM stuff is CAN buss as mentioned before. your computer in the truck has to see a &quot;healthy&quot; system in order to start the truck and run properly. <br /><br />Good Luck, you are facing something i wouldnt wanna face in your predicament. this could get costly real fast!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree with everything being said here. Just so all knows, I did disconnect the battery before I started this so that wasn't part of the issue. And yes, I did hook it back up so I know the battery is still not the issue! LOL. I am having it towed to the dealer and hopefully they can and will figure it out even though they messed it up last time there. They know it is a harness issue so hopefully they have the replacement parts so I'm not without a vehicle long. Hell, I'll probably have em do a little extra work to it since my tax return came today, of course depending on the cost of this predicamnet. Any ideas what cost is around once it becomes an electrical issue? Thanks! OH, do Chevy dealers do audio/nav installs?

Edited by wayne0312 (see edit history)

I agree in that you probably need to get it to the dealer. What you are dealing with is the data communications between the various computers/modules in the vehicle. The radio communicates with other modules on this data circuit. If the data communications circuit is shorted to ground for example, the modules can't communicate resulting in numerous issues one of which would be a no start.

Edited by mcwarren (see edit history)

<br />I agree in that you probably need to get it to the dealer. What you are dealing with is the class 2 data communications between the various computers/modules in the vehicle. The radio communicates with other modules on this class 2 data circuit. If the class 2 data communications circuit is shorted to ground for example, the modules can't communicate resulting in numerous issues one of which would be a no start.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Wow, so much I should have read on my new vehicle before undertaking such a project. I guess I get too antsy thinking of my successful installs with older vehicles...subs/amps/speakers etc. that I believe it translates into an '08 model. WRONG! Bad Owner!!! I am so done doing my own work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funny thing is, I am an engineer.....and my employee trusts me to hook up digital/high def equipment for everyone to see next year per FCC and I have had nothing but success. But with this car audio stuff, FORGET IT!!!!

Ciao