Got my first recall notice today

-sonny-

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

1 Recall Notice

Campaign Number : 03V018000 Date : 2/5/2003

Component: VISIBILITY:WINDSHIELD

Defect Summary: CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS FAIL TO CONFORM TO FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 212, “WINDSHIELD MOUNTING.” SOME OF THESE VEHICLES LACK A CONTINUOUS URETHANE BONDING BEAD BETWEEN THE BODY SURFACE AND THE WINDSHIELD.

Consequence Summary: IN VEHICLES WITH THIS CONDITION, THE WINDSHIELD MAY NOT BE RETAINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE SAFETY STANDARD DURING A VEHICLE CRASH.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REMOVE, RESEAL, AND REINSTALL THE WINDSHIELD. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON JANUARY 28, 2003. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020 OR GMC AT 1-800-462-8782.

maybe that'll solve that tapping noise you get at highway speeds when you install a bug deflector.. GM is notorious for that...

Is that related? on my suburban I installed a winter time nose cover to protect against rock salt and other winter road debris and it started tapping above 50. Couldn't trace it except to the flaps over the hood hinge.

I've never had good experiences :fume: with windshield replacements.

Tool they use to cut urethane always chews:smash: at paint and has led to rust problems in some of my rides.(they use bowling ball sized grit :cry: on the roads here in winter for traction=cracked windshield)

Had 3 replaced on one ride because of stress cracks, all blamed the previous companies guy with bad install and sold car as I was fed up.

BUT We do not have much choice in the matter If they find a problem and you do not fix, the body structure is severly weakened and works in conjunction with the air bags, so no fix will leave you vulnerable in a crash, have it done it is a critical component of your ride.

Good Luck :thumbs:

Dr Mike :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
I hope that recall will solve that annoying tapping sound at high speeds. After I installed my bug shield it started, and a dealer body shop supposedly attempted to reseal it but it still makes the noise. I will await my recall. :sigh:

I just took my bug deflector off because of the flapping noise driving me :crazy:

Is the recall for the window trim or the window? If its the window how can you tell if its sealed right? :shakehead:

Archived