Stock Air Box

mikes ss

my first computer and i cant type so please bear with me. just purchased my first ss. this thing is FANTASTIC!!!! its a 03 awd. my question is, has anyone tried modifying the stock air box (smoothing, wraping with insulation) or am i just wasting time. i see you guys like volant but i have a long way to go, so any money saved will get me farther faster.

also if i do the ram air off the bottom of the bumper will i have any issues when it rains? thanks guys your input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what the difference betweenn the Volant or the K&N is but it made sense to me that the K&N was less restricive due to it wasn't in a box. What gains one would gainn between the two? *Shrugs* ppl have either or something else.. Look up the home made kits. I just happened to run across a deal on a new K&N 77 series Kit for $170.00 so I jumped on it.

As far as the scoop I really don't see any gain's for a stock motor with an aftermarket airfilter...

Welcome to SSS :)

some will say that with the volant ram air scoop then you wont experience very many gains. I will say that I wouldnt worry bout modding the stock box, I would just buy a volant.

:withstupid: , I would just buy a volant. Either make your own scoop or buy the volant scoop.

I read an article(or some other post?) where a guy did something similar. He cut the hole in the bottom of the stock box bigger, smoothed the fins on the inside of the box, and dropped in a K&N filter. According to the reading, it did help, but the change was no where near as drastic as an aftermarket intake system. I would just save up and buy a kit IMO.

i wouldnt mess witht he stock air box, just geta whol new CAI. . . .and everyone is gonna voice there opinions and there will be many different CAI mensioned, and dont let the "plastic is better than metal" or "sealed is better than open" fool you cuz its not any better. my vote gets the AEM dryfow system, it has a 4" aluminum tube with a 9"X6" dry filter (no oil), and with the open box my intake air temps are 2-5 degrees above ambient temps

100_0415.jpg

I modded mine - cut holes and added the scoop...then I slapped a Volant on from the shop just to try it out....I wish I hadn't even bother ed with the stock one - just get an intake

There is one thing i can tell you. Get a volant intake. i have sold alot of intakes and i get the best feedback from them. Some people say that K&N actually takes HP from you on some applications. Give me a call and we can talk a little more about the best one for you. NJ

If your looking at the cheapest way to go just take out the air box and buy a k&n cone filter to replace it. about 50 bucks but then ull need something to stablize the stock air tube. Like said everyone will give their .02 on intakes just personal preference. I went with 77 series from K&N and like it.

I have a hole in my stock box, stock filter and I dont think I would gain much if I have one. I know it makes a little more sound with an aftermarket one on there but for the most part a clean filter is IMO the best. I did back to back runs one as is and one with the head light out adding a bit more air to the box and the times were the same. Do you have a tune? shift kit? those would be money better spent IMO.

I have not had any water issues with my ram air tube.

how to mod your stock box

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

Detjoe I have the volant and did the same as you at the track. With the headlight in I was a little bit over a tenth slower than with the headlight out.

Seeing how I have an open element K&N, I always take out my headlight at the track. The incoming airflow once you are moving gives it sort of a Ram Air effect.....