Shift Kit Install

I am going to install my Transgo HD2-C shift kit on Friday morning with servo's. I done some searching on here but there was not many tips for the "do it yourself" guy. I was just wanting some input before I start, any tips or anything to make it go smoother. I have looked at the directions and I think I can do it, so any tips?

The only thing I can think of to buy that not everyone owns is a small hook/pick kit for getting the springs and keepers out of their slots and bores. You can do it with regular screwdrivers and micro-screwdrivers too, but hooks and picks are just so much easier to use. That and some vasaline.

i am in the process of installing it now but i have some trouble..i have spent about a hour trying to get the pan off...i cant do it, it is stuck on something and the stock exhaust pipe runs right under it....any ideas?

Exhaust has to come off first.

Cable comes off next. What you can do is take the cable off of the transmission (15mm nut, then pull the metal clip and pinch the plastic clips to release the cable from the bracket). Once the cable is out of it's main bracket piece, some trucks don't have enough clearance to fully remove the cable because it's to close to the pan, well you can use a large screwdriver to pry away the bracket a little bit to fully remove the cable from the bracket.

Once the cable is out of the way, all you have to do is drop the other side of the pan down first and it will slip right by the bracket.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Exhaust has to come off first.

Cable comes off next. What you can do is take the cable off of the transmission (15mm nut, then pull the metal clip and pinch the plastic clips to release the cable from the bracket). Once the cable is out of it's main bracket piece, some trucks don't have enough clearance to fully remove the cable because it's to close to the pan, well you can use a large screwdriver to pry away the bracket a little bit to fully remove the cable from the bracket.

Once the cable is out of the way, all you have to do is drop the other side of the pan down first and it will slip right by the bracket.

i got the bracket off and out of the way now that cross over exhaust is in the way...my exhaust is welded so there is no way to take it off....any tips

i got the bracket off and out of the way now that cross over exhaust is in the way...my exhaust is welded so there is no way to take it off....any tips

Cut the exhaust. It was a bad idea to weld it... :banghead:

EDIT: On the good side, cut it where it would make sense to have a connector. Then, when it comes time to drop the pan and replace the trans filter, you can drop the pan without cutting the exhaust a second time.

Cut the exhaust. It was a bad idea to weld it... :banghead:

EDIT: On the good side, cut it where it would make sense to have a connector. Then, when it comes time to drop the pan and replace the trans filter, you can drop the pan without cutting the exhaust a second time.

thats the only way huh? i would have thought the shop would have know not to weld it to...all i need is at max .5 inch...thats alot to...the cross bar is whats in the way

You can try unbolting the trans mount (two nuts from the bottom side of the cross-member) and jacking up the tail of the transmission. Only problem is, the engine is going to tilt and take the exhaust with it most likely, so you're not going to gain a huge amount of room. Did they weld the collector side of the exhaust too? Taking collectors loose would help...

If it were me, I'd cut it, make the shift kit install, then go back to the exhaust shop and say "hey, look what you guys made me do to get the stupid filter out of my transmission!!!" ... and have them add in bolt together clamps/etc.

I'd almost have to agree with SS_Bnoon_SS about cutting the exhaust, it really wouldn't be a bad idea for down the road.

I don't know how much it would gain you but, you could possible try unbolting the headers from the heads, and take off some of the hanger brackets. By doing this and jacking up the rear of the trans like Bnoon suggested it might work. But I guess on my truck I am still runnin stock exhaust for the time being so I don't know how feasible that is to do on your system, or how much room that would gain for you. Let us know what happens.

Edited by Indiana SS (see edit history)