Volant Cai, Should It Be Airtight?

i installed my volant this afternoon with scoop, got cai on clearence from performancecenter.com for good price. install was pretty straight foward ,but one question... the way the air box sits againstthe wall is not airtght. even the stock air box was fitted with foam gaskets and fit snuggly against the wall where it sucks. would it benefit the volant to silicon or foam this area for a better seal? doesnt sucking air from the engine compartment completely defeat the purpose of the system, or am i being overly analytical about the thing??

i installed my volant this afternoon with scoop, got cai on clearence from performancecenter.com for good price. install was pretty straight foward ,but one question... the way the air box sits againstthe wall is not airtght. even the stock air box was fitted with foam gaskets and fit snuggly against the wall where it sucks. would it benefit the volant to silicon or foam this area for a better seal? doesnt sucking air from the engine compartment completely defeat the purpose of the system, or am i being overly analytical about the thing??

if its air tight at the box, then what ever you do, do not go Thur a puddle because the tube will act like a straw and such water up it... :sick:

:seeya:

• 2 weeks later...

I used a little HVAC foam that I bought from Home Depot for less than five dollars.