Joined The Navy Today.

ssaman

So like the title says, I joined the Navy today! My job will be Corpsman (a medic) I'm going to do everything possible to be FMF (Fleet Marine Force) Which means I will train with the Marines and be their medic in the field. I went to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) And got one of the last Corpsman positions available. My contract is under "National Call to Service" which means after all of my training I will be active duty for 15 months (god willing with the Marines) And then after that time I go reserve for 2 years. It seems like a pretty good deal, I want the experience but I don't want to be away from home for forever and a day. And on top of everything they gave me a $5,000 signing bonus. I'm leaving for boot camp on August 15th so I still have a while to get in shape and be ready to go! So anyways I just wanted to share my excitement! :flag:

Damn man, everytime I see threads like this , it makes me regret not signing when I was originally going to.

Best of luck to you in all your training and being a corpsman (having emergency medical experience) can help you out when you try to find a civilian job if you wish in MANY fields.

Good Luck at "The Great Mistakes" (as a friend called it)

Congrats. If you joined up to be a corpsman or as we call them, "Doc" then you are going to be speding some time with the Marines.

Thank guys! But yes I want to be with the Marines the entire time I'm active. I was going to join the Marines first but they did not have medical, so this way I get the best of both worlds! :thumbs:

Congrats. Isnt Gixxrider or something an instructor at the naval boot camp on lake michigan? My cousin was a medic with 82d airborne through the Iraq invasion. Be prepared to see and do things you have never done before.

I started the process myself to go before the officer selection board for the Navy this summer and if I get selected, I will be attending Officer Candidate School in September. I cant wait. I have to drop about 30lbs myself which shouldnt be hard. They are offering me a nuclear engineering officer program with a $15k signing bonus and my one year of training after OCS counts towards my masters degree, which they will pay for as well.

Congrats on the big move, I served 4 years in submarine force on USS Key West when she was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I have never regretted that decision, you will make friends that you never will lose touch with. Be proud and stay strong!! Boot camp is all a mental

game, keep your head on straight and play by the rules and you'll be fine!

Go Navy!!! :cheers:

Hey dude, congrats. Keep your head down, keep your feet moving, and take all the training the military will give you. You can always join up with the USAF though. I am up for re-enlistment in my job, and they are offering a 54,500 re-enlistment bonus for 4 more years. Can't beat that. Good luck.

Thank you all for your encouragement! I am very excited to get to training. I am trying to psych myself into the whole thing. I really cant wait to hit the FMF though. I just now have to stop eating burgers and start running lol. I'll get there though!

:flag: