Where Your From

Quik

been kicking the idea around of leaving pittsburgh for a new start. every time i think im getting somewhere something drags me back down. i havent been able to find a job here i can see having a future with. I dont have much here in the burgh and been thinking of relocating. So im asking ppl whrere they live and what the job field looks like there.. whats living situations are and etc

im an electrican by trade. ive done industrial, commerical and residential. i actually like being a Plant electrician/maintenance personal. Im also strong in the automotive field....

so if you could just reply back with how your town and work field is like. i would appreicate it

I live on Cape Cod, in MA. You would have no problem finding work here as either a commercial or residential electrician... There are frequently million to multi-million dollar houses being built on Cape Cod, especially over on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (very high income areas). Cape Cod is primarily Caucasian (there were more soda machines than colored kids in my high school when I was there), and there is loads of houses for sale. The only issue on Cape is tourism (our population at least triples in the summer), and the elderly (one of our towns has the highest population density of 65+ in all of New England)...

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

I live on Cape Cod, in MA. You would have no problem finding work here as either a commercial or residential electrician... There are frequently million to multi-million dollar houses being built on Cape Cod, especially over on Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket (very high income areas). Cape Cod is primarily Caucasian (there were more soda machines than colored kids in my high school when I was there), and there is loads of houses for sale. The only issue on Cape is tourism (our population at least triples in the summer), and the elderly (one of our towns has the highest population density of 65+ in all of New England)...

Hope that helps! :thumbs:

hows the weather up there? i like snow but also like warm. i can live with 30s -70s .....

how about factorys and plants? i rather be maintenance for one of them using my electrical knowledge. i lik to be challenged.

any close drag strips?

Cape Cod is great in the summer, it's been years since I've been but I'm sure it hasn't changed much....winters are brutal with the atlantic on your from door.

I live in Silicon Valley, Santa Clara, San Jose California. While we have some of the highest wages in the nation and there is work the cost of living will just outright kill you. I pay $1100 for a 800' 2bdr apt upstairs unit.....and I've got a good deal.

Cape Cod is great in the summer, it's been years since I've been but I'm sure it hasn't changed much....winters are brutal with the atlantic on your from door.

I live in Silicon Valley, Santa Clara, San Jose California. While we have some of the highest wages in the nation and there is work the cost of living will just outright kill you. I pay $1100 for a 800' 2bdr apt upstairs unit.....and I've got a good deal.

ya i wouldnt live in cali.....sucks is average electrican/ plant maintenance guy here in pittsburgh only sees 15hr

i know other places with wages COL is higher but still. Pittsburgh is an old steel mill town that all the old guys in my field know bette to not mess things up. so they have their jobs till they retire, then all companys expect to pay you the same even tho you might have more education then the previous mill hunkies

hows the weather up there? i like snow but also like warm. i can live with 30s -70s .....

how about factorys and plants? i rather be maintenance for one of them using my electrical knowledge. i lik to be challenged.

any close drag strips?

Last year for about a week we broke 100 degrees... Generally we have gorgeous summers... Fall and spring are non-existent, we pretty much go right into winter... We see anywhere from 0-4 feet of snow during the winter months, every once and while we get a bad bad month or so and get like, 6 feet. This winter so far the coldest temp was about 4 degrees, with the average around 25-35 degrees.

I don't know much about the industrial sector... It does exist, but we don't have any production facilities or large plants here (to my knowledge), short of the Cape Cod Potato Chip plant and the Cape Cod Time newspaper...

Lebanon Valley is about 4 hours away, and the track up in New Hampshire (name escapes me) is about 2.5 - 3 hours... Atco is about 10 hours and Island is about 6... I prefer Lebanon Valley, great place to meet all the New Englanders and it's a much better track than the New Hampsire one...

I live in Bismarck, North Dakota. We have the LARGEST Bobcat (mini-x/skid-steer) plant in the world (Doosan/Melroe). MOST Bobcats are built in Bismarck ND, an excellent source of employment. Let me know, and I could help you get a job. The weather is great (to me). Cold/Mild winters, HOT/summers. 80,000 Population, small city/big city attitude. Located on the Missouri River, a "party" central. We have GREAT nightlife as well as high end resteraunts and car dealerships. Come and see for yourself, you will love it.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

I'm living in Lexington, KY these days. We got plenty of plants like LexMark and Toyota down the road in Georgetown. Plants/Factorys are all over the place in KY. Ex's dad works as a maintenance guy. Been there for many years in my old town of Harrodsburg, KY. cost of living here is pretty low. Not many big cities thought but Lexington is a really nice place to live, plus Ky has the KY derby, Corvette plant and other things. The 1/4 mile track is about an hour away from me in clay city, then there is one in Bowling Green. Nice weather all year long. Not much snow these days. In 2006 my buddies and I were playing golf in December. :cheers:

Located on the Missouri River, a "party" central. We have GREAT nightlife as well as high end resteraunts and car dealerships. Come and see for yourself, you will love it.

:crackup:

Sounds like the travel channel, you ever thought of doing PR? :D

Glasgow...thats in Kentucky as well. I wont ever live any where else, we have a few factories here and the nearby cities (Bowling Green, Scottsville) and the 1/4 mile track is about 30 minutes down the road.

Zanesville, Ohio reporting in. Weather is just typical Ohio based weather, you get everything and anything, including a single storm starting off as a thunderstorm, turning into a blizzard, freaky but cool as hell. Got a high unemployment rate, but have several manufracturing/ware houses around, also I70 is right here, so you're only 60 miles/hour away from Columbus, Ohio. National Trail Raceway is only about 30 mins up the interstate (west). Got alot of bank forecloseurs around here, connected to the high unemployment rate, but also no one really wants to work. I work at Plaskolite, Inc. which we have no openings in our maintiance department, but we also have a General Dollar DC, AutoZone DC, Bloomer Candy, 5 B's (clothing maker/seller), AK Steel, and a crap lot of retail and food establishments, and several more Industry/Warehouse facilities, just not awake to remember them all.

i live in Compton Cali or LA, but as Bill already said the cost of living here sucks but u can make a good living as an electrician. i work for LA county and the electrician's here make about 56-5800 a month with benefits, vacation, sick time, and retirement so maybe thats a thought. i've been waiting a while for the apprenticeships to come back up so i can get in to the crafts myself.

-Rob