Running Higher Rpms

slammedbowtie

ok i changed my oil from 5w-30 to 0w-40 with the taller filter. also i changed my stock thermostat to a 160 stat at the same time. my question is...i have noticed ever since that my rpms are much higher at a slower rate of speed. used to be 2K @ 70mph, not its more like 2K @ 55mph. is it the oil? idk kinda wierd. shift points seem a little different idk maybe im just imagining it. thanks

O.K. this what I found out. Changing oil weight shouldn't have caused any of the problems you stated. I was told it sounds like your tranny is in lower gear than it should be. Which could be caused by several different things.

your lock up clutch might be toasted. while you are crusing down the highway at around 65mph slightly press the brake but dont let off the throttle and the rpms should jump up a few rpm because the TC unlocked itself. if it doesnt then you need a new TC

ok ok, im gettin my tune sent out tomorrow so ill check the trans and tc tomorrow before i change anything else. cuz we all know that when i get the tune, its going right in. and tranny in lower gear is exactly what i would describe it as. i checked to make sure i wasnt in 3 several times.

Edited by slammedbowtie (see edit history)

ok ok, im gettin my tune sent out tomorrow so ill check the trans and tc tomorrow before i change anything else. cuz we all know that when i get the tune, its going right in. and tranny in lower gear is exactly what i would describe it as. i checked to make sure i wasnt in 3 several times.

Did you count the shifts?

not at the moment i hadnt counted the shift. i just happened to notice it while cruising along. just felt like when i was cruising that i should have been in a higher gear. i checked my fluid it was about half a quart low. so when i take it on the highway ill see if that made a difference. im at 50K now so im due for a fluid change anyway