So I Took The Head Off

So as some of you know i have been having a small problem with my lq9. well i tried everything from injectiors to coils to fix the problem and nothing. i was told from the JERK who i purchased the motor from that i would be getting my new head and gasket and head bolts today but once again he lies he probably wont send me anything.

Ok so i finally got tired of the lies from oscar and just went down to a machine shop and asked about how much to fix my "problem" he said about 135$ so i was like ok..

i wanted to take it to port pros my old machine shop but the closed down :(

i pulled the head and found out that my motor is a lq9 :dancenana: and that the cyldinder looks fine from the naked eye. same with the head. tomorrow im going to go get it pressure tested and what not if its fine then im going to cry.. im a little upset with nelson performance because they did my swap and they didn't put coolant in my truck :confused: they used water. well that got nice an rusty and now everything smells great :rolleyes: oh well i have to flush it anyways

here are the pics.. notice on the left side the sencond port which is #4 cyldiner there is no oil or anything in there. i did not wipe that down thats how it was when i pulled off the intake

rebuildmotor012.jpg

rebuildmotor013.jpg

rebuildmotor014.jpg

rebuildmotor015.jpg

rebuildmotor016.jpg

rebuildmotor017.jpg

rebuildmotor018.jpg

rebuildmotor019.jpg

rebuildmotor020.jpg

rebuildmotor021.jpg

Dude that water complaint is soooooooooooo minor. The last person to work on my truck that is 2.5 hours drive from me shut my hood with something on the fender and bent my nice cowl hood. Count yourself lucky that you didn't get screwed worse by that penis that sold you the motor.

man that suck. Water why would anyone but just water in.

From what I've heard I'm not surprised.

It's unfortunately common in areas where it never gets super cold (like San Antonio); there are two explainations, if you give these folks the benefit of the doubt then it's because they wanted to promote improved cooling by improving heat transfer (glycol does not conduct heat as well as water) OR if you are more of a cynic then the mechanic did not have it on hand and would not take the extra 15-mins and $15 to go to Walmart and buy some antifreeze and distilled water.

[Mr. Mackey] Running an engine without coolant is baaad, m'kay... [/Mr Mackey] because the coolant not only provides freeze protection but lubricates the water pump. If you run straight water in your vehicle you can just write-off the water pump seals and bearings after a season or two. ALSO, use distilled water, not tap water (fish fornicate in tap water :jester:) and in Texas especially San Antonio there is all sorts of minerals in the water and it's not good on cooling, aluminum corrosion, water pump, etc. For this reason always run at least 30% antifreeze in your engine, even in hot climates; if you want to improve the coolant then add a dose of "water wetter" to it. :thumbs:

Mr. P.

I would pull the valves and roll them on a flat surface to see if the shaft is bent any. and then you could replace the valve guides...I agree water is cheaper if you have a problem and have to take stuff apart.

but I dont know about all that texas stuff :)

Edited by detjoe (see edit history)

I would pull the valves and roll them on a flat surface to see if the shaft is bent any. and then you could replace the valve guides...I agree water is cheaper if you have a problem and have to take stuff apart.

but I dont know about all that texas stuff :)

yea the water was the least of my worries but i just was like what the heck. he probably did it cuz he knew i was taking the head off i guess. well im taking the head in today to get it pressure tested and all those goodies. ill keep you guys updated

That sucks, but it could be worse i had a kid at my shop do work on a Brand new john Deere tractor., it had 20 hours on it he drained the oil and started it up. I think that you can see where i am going. he let it run for 45 min. with NO OIL. when he shut if off it would not start.. When asked as to why there was no oil and when he saw the oil come on why not shut it down he said., I thought it was the water light. He's a dumbass and the owners son we all got yelled at but he didn't.... :wtf:

Edited by sick03ssbad70velle (see edit history)

That sucks, but it could be worse i had a kid at my shop do work on a Brand new john Deere tractor., it had 20 hours on it he drained the oil and started it up. I think that you can see where i am going. he let it run for 45 min. with NO OIL. when he shut if off it would not start.. When asked as to why there was no oil and when he saw the oil come on why not shut it down he said., I thought it was the water light. He's a dumbass and the owners son we all got yelled at but he didn't.... :wtf:

that sounds like fun, when i use to work at sears one of the machanics didn't put oil in the car after draining it. and then sears had to pay for her new motor. and before he did that he didn't put the cap back on and it spilt oil everywere

well i found out that the jerk who sold me the motor lied about the yr.. he said it was a 06 but in 06 they used all the same lenght head bolts.. :cry: and i have 8 long ones and 2 short ones

Edited by Chevy Lee (see edit history)

so i heard back about the head, the guy isnt 100% sure but he thinks a Mud Dauber built a nest on the valve causing it to not open an close properly :noway: hopefully that was the only problem but i am glad it happend i found out the yr of my motor :banghead: