Looking For A New Hu

I have been out of the stereo scene for a while and really have no clue what is out there now but do know one thing, I want to get something to replace my stock unit. The bose is nice but I do have a system and with the bose once the volume goes up a certain amount is just sucks with the response levels. I like the 6 disc however with the dang ipods out now there almost is no use for it. I am trying to buy a unit, prob single din that will give all the options of ipod, usb, etc. I dont need NAV and I sure dont need to spend a G for a deck. I'm just looking for something that has a good amount of options and wont break the bank.

Also I know some vehicle makes it is as easy as buying a certain harness that plugs into the stock oem one then connects to a harness for the HU. Is it that easy with our trucks with XM and the wheel controls, let alone the stupid door chimes? So who is going to the first to throw knowledge at me?

I have the alpine cda-9886 head unit. I love it, it's about 300 bones. It comes wtih a I pod cable, and has a usb port. It is blue tooth, satelilte, and hd radio ready. I purchased some memphis speakers for the door, and I'm not happy with them. I think the bose components it came with sound alot better. I don't know how far your going with this, or how much you have in mind to spend, but if you need any assistance I'll be happy to help. If you want more bang, your probably gonna need a couple of amps, and a couple of subs under the back seat. Just changing the head unit isn't giong to change the sound to much. Go to crutchfeild. com there are many options to choose from. Do some checking b-4 you purchase the hd radio, there may not be a whole lot of other stations in your area that you'll be able to pick up on. See how many of the local stations are brodcasting in digital format. It's about a $200 dollar upgrade,

but the hd tuner will make the stations brodcasting digital sound pretty close to cd quality. I have one, but I hardly ever use it, having my entire music library on the I pod is fantastic. Ran the ipod cable behind the dash, put the ipod in the glove box and leave it there. It'll charge the ipod while your listening to it. Satililte radio is about $125 dollar upgrade, plus a monthly charge. Don't have the the xm,

if you wanna use you steering wheel controls you'll have to purchase a interface, it's about $70, it's a pac swix-x, call crutchfeild for compatibilty with the stereo your going to buy. And your going to need a module so your door chimes to work. I have one but I don't have the module # handy. Hope this helps.....Good luck.

Edited by SS Muscle Truck (see edit history)

generally I dont really have a budget but I have no use for an in dash or anything off the wall. Around the $300 range would be nice, hell even lower if possible.

Muscle Truck: I already have a system in my truck, i'm pushing to Diamond Audio D3 with about 1000wrms but with this stock deck it just sounds like ass once it starts getting louder. Everything just seems distorted. I have XM currently and would like to keep my wheel controls but I would also like to keep it all plug and play for the most part as well if thats possible.

generally I dont really have a budget but I have no use for an in dash or anything off the wall. Around the $300 range would be nice, hell even lower if possible.

Muscle Truck: I already have a system in my truck, i'm pushing to Diamond Audio D3 with about 1000wrms but with this stock deck it just sounds like ass once it starts getting louder. Everything just seems distorted. I have XM currently and would like to keep my wheel controls but I would also like to keep it all plug and play for the most part as well if thats possible.

some things to consider!!!

Do you have a seperate amp running the components in the doors??? If not you may want to add a 4 channel amp with about 50 watts rms per channel, (you can go higher rms just make sure your speakers can handle the power) along with the new head unit. The amp that comes with the bose factory unit is not enough to compensate ( at higher volume levels ) to keep up with all that power you have running to the subs. I have that alpine unit I mentioned and a 600 watt rms alpine bass driver,two jl audio w4's under the back seat a 4 channel x 50 pioneer amp, for the door speakers, it sounds fantastic loud.

I ran the factory speakers for about 4 months, they sounded pretty damm close to the piece of crap mepmphis speakers i bought. (They are pretty good, I think I paid way to much for them.) The pac swix-x should allow to keep your factory controls. If you already have a decent amp running your doors, the new head unit should clean up your high end sound. Also check your door component speakers, make shure none of them are blown. Also the xm units, every manufactuer has there own xm tuner that goes with there head units, tell the guys at crutchfeild your model #, maybe they can match up a head unit that will work with the xm tuner you already have, if they can, you can save some dough.......

Edited by SS Muscle Truck (see edit history)

I have the same deck SS Muscle truck has, The alpine cda-9886. I pay 300 for it and it has a lot of features. Comes with a ipod cable and has a usb connection. Awesome deck for the price. Jac

i just went from an alpine cda 9886 to a pioneer avic d3... as far as sound processing goes, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, go to a local stereo show with one of those switchable displays and just listen to them... The d3's were recently discontinued so everyone is pushing them for <$600.

jac are you still using the wheel controls and have door chimes? If so how much do those adapter set you back? What was the install like as well?

Im not using the Wheel controls but I did install the door chime adapter and onstar. I paid 50 for the one adapter to use with the bose system. The onstar adapter was given to me bye my friend who had a extra one sitting in hos tool box for the last yr or so. I looked into the steering wheel control adapter for about 30 dollars but the 9886 alpine comes with a wireless remote. on the install Wasent bad at all. some splicing of of the 2 adapters but thats really about it. took me about a hr total. If you buy the stereo from crutchfield you will pay 300 for the stereo and you will get the adapters for half price and a free install kit

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DHBpHy4Wso1/c...in/viewcart.asp

I beleive woth the 03 and up trucks the adapter is one unit for both.

Hope this helps any

Jac :cheers:

did you have to splice all the HU wires or did you have an adapter that connected it to the factory harness?

No splicing into the factory wiring, Used a wiring harness adapter, was like 10 bucks.

i just went from an alpine cda 9886 to a pioneer avic d3... as far as sound processing goes, they're on opposite ends of the spectrum, go to a local stereo show with one of those switchable displays and just listen to them... The d3's were recently discontinued so everyone is pushing them for <$600.

so that's why best buy had them for $600 and circuit city and crutchfield had them for $999.

any other HU's to look at? I read a little about that alpine and heard nothing but pretty crappy reviews. Basically the HU is nice but the ipod function is a major problem with the ipod not shutting off with the HU when you turn the vehicle up so it just keeps on playing.

• 7 months later...

bringing back an old thread once again. Shit got stolen and now looking again for another HU. Had the alpine cda-9886 and it was ok but feel for the money could of bee a lot better. Trying to keep my budget as low as possible but don;t want complete sh!t. Was thinking about a pioneer deh-P6000ub but any others to consider that have a good EQ and fast ipod connectivity? Also prefer something that has a detachable face that is easy to remove and put back on as the Alpine was a PITA so prob played a big part why my shit was stolen.

The DEHP600UD is a great unit. This is the one I was going to get before deciding on the double DIN. The IPOD interface is really nice. Or you can spend a little more and get the in dash double DIN unit. I can refer you to a guy who might be able to get you a pretty good price on it. Just let me know and I will PM you the info.