Saltwater Experts

wody

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im setting up a saltwater tank for a catshark. what are some tips for setting up a decent saltwater setup?

thanks

Get a setup that has bio balls as your filtering system and a good pump. I had a 110 gal. tank years ago and can't remember the size of pump to use.

a single fish like that you can go with an inexpensive undergravel filter. external canister filters are the best yet expensive. Look for something that can change the tank water over a minimum of 3 times an hour. Any other specific questions let me know.

The minimum tank size for a cat shark is 180 gallons (recommended). If you have the money go with a drilled tank so you can use a sump for filtration. IMO, bioballs and canister filters are junk. Because the shark will create lots of waste, you should go with a protein skimmer or else you will end up with algae problems. You will need to "cycle" the tank for at least a month, with nothing in it but sand and live rock. Do 20 percent water changes ever two weeks until your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are zero (you will need a test kit). It is also a good idea to invest in a Reverse Osmosis water filter for the health of the fish and to decrease the chance of algae blooms (which can take over a tank in days, not good).

I have been in the saltwater hobby for almost two years, I am big into keeping coral reef and non-predator fish, I probably have $2,000+ invested in my 55 gallon. The hobby is not cheap, but it is so rewarding. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, and I highly advise that you check out www.reefcentral.com and do TONS of reading.

Good luck.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

i got a good deal on a 125 gallon. so thats where i'll start, either im going to clean it up and sell it for twice what i bought it for and buy a larger tank or just run with it for a while. i don't think being in a second floor condo will allow much more than that anyway. one day when we move out i do want a 400 with some leopard sharks.

and depending on how well i can manage them i would love to one day have some black tip reef sharks.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

Having been in the hobby for almost ten years now everything SS Silv said is right on however it depends what else you want in the tank. If your setting up a tank for just one fish (a catshark) and want to keep the maintenence "relatively" low I would recomment not putting in the live rock because like SS Silv said it will take a while to cycle, not to mention the added cost of live rock. $5 dollars per pound seems to be the going rate and you would need at least 50 or 60 pounds minimum to make it worth your while. Your going to want a sandy bottom because a cat shark is a bottom dwelling fish and probably not all that many ornaments inside the tank due to the size of the fish once full grown, or even halfway full grown. Be careful with the sand you put in. Sand used for reptiles is not good sand to put in your tank. Many people have had good luck with sandbox sand, and its cheap. For starters, hang-on to your 125 (preferably drilled) so you can add a sump or your gonna need a serious array of hang-on the back filters. Get a decent test kit, and get your water cycling asap. Even without the live-rock its gonna take at least a month to stabilize. Once you think its stabilized throw some damsels (cheap fish) to get the biological process started and to ensure your water params at in check. From there, good luck, its hit or miss with fish when you are begining this hobby.

-Scott

Having been in the hobby for almost ten years now everything SS Silv said is right on however it depends what else you want in the tank. If your setting up a tank for just one fish (a catshark) and want to keep the maintenence "relatively" low I would recomment not putting in the live rock because like SS Silv said it will take a while to cycle, not to mention the added cost of live rock. $5 dollars per pound seems to be the going rate and you would need at least 50 or 60 pounds minimum to make it worth your while. Your going to want a sandy bottom because a cat shark is a bottom dwelling fish and probably not all that many ornaments inside the tank due to the size of the fish once full grown, or even halfway full grown. Be careful with the sand you put in. Sand used for reptiles is not good sand to put in your tank. Many people have had good luck with sandbox sand, and its cheap. For starters, hang-on to your 125 (preferably drilled) so you can add a sump or your gonna need a serious array of hang-on the back filters. Get a decent test kit, and get your water cycling asap. Even without the live-rock its gonna take at least a month to stabilize. Once you think its stabilized throw some damsels (cheap fish) to get the biological process started and to ensure your water params at in check. From there, good luck, its hit or miss with fish when you are begining this hobby.

-Scott

thats some bitchin info in filtration. i will probably end up drilling and running the sump, i like to keep things clean and if cluttered, out of sight.

i know that the catshark is a sand shark and from all the info i have read, it is not compatible with reef anyway. all i want is the shark some sand, like one cave or tunnel rock and maybe some plant life.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

Intersting fact about sharks; they cannot circulate water over their gils. If they are not moving forward or sitting a current they cannot breathe. I've seen sharks in the wild sitting on the bottom of channels, in the current "resting". I don't know anything about aquariums, but, you may want to create a place close to the bottom with a current so the shark can rest somewhere.

Intersting fact about sharks; they cannot circulate water over their gils. If they are not moving forward or sitting a current they cannot breathe. I've seen sharks in the wild sitting on the bottom of channels, in the current "resting". I don't know anything about aquariums, but, you may want to create a place close to the bottom with a current so the shark can rest somewhere.

In a "good" tank you will have enough circulation to keep the water heavily oxygenated