Any Camera Experts

ItsJac

Well finally broke down and bought me a Canon Digital Rebel XTI. Picked it up from bestbuy over the weekend for 550. Already bought me a new lens since the on it comes with sucks. Got a Canon EOS EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, My question is I'm looking for a long range zoom lens and dont know what to get. IM STUCK! I saw that canon makes a 100-300MM lens for a decent price but charges 300 more for the IS on the upgraded model. Dont know if its worth the extra 300. If anyone got any experience with any canon zoom lense, Any info would be helpful. Thanks

JAc

:cheers:

Not an expert by any means, but I've been into photography for a long time. Canon IS lenses are very good as a rule. My advice would be to see if the place you purchase from will let you try both first or have a good return policy which is the same thing :D I would say the IS is worth the money but you may not see the difference. Some people can't tell a junk lens from a top of the line lens. Not trying to be a snob, pictures are personal (at least for me) and if a $200.00 lens suits your needs as well as a $500.00 lens then why spend the extra $300.00. I have a little Olympus digital that I carry most of the time and it does a respectable job for family stuff and grab shots at car shows etc. It's quick and easy. I also have Nikon DSLR's that I use for what I consider serious photography. They are larger and more trouble to use properly but are worth it to me when I want truly superior quality.

So---short answer--buy what you can live with. They're your pics.

Not an expert by any means, but I've been into photography for a long time. Canon IS lenses are very good as a rule. My advice would be to see if the place you purchase from will let you try both first or have a good return policy which is the same thing :D I would say the IS is worth the money but you may not see the difference. Some people can't tell a junk lens from a top of the line lens. Not trying to be a snob, pictures are personal (at least for me) and if a $200.00 lens suits your needs as well as a $500.00 lens then why spend the extra $300.00. I have a little Olympus digital that I carry most of the time and it does a respectable job for family stuff and grab shots at car shows etc. It's quick and easy. I also have Nikon DSLR's that I use for what I consider serious photography. They are larger and more trouble to use properly but are worth it to me when I want truly superior quality.

So---short answer--buy what you can live with. They're your pics.

I have a Nikon as well, i heard good things about the Cannon Rebel. Good choice!

Hey man don't forget about the weight difference. The IS models are SIGNIFICANTLY heavy than their counter parts. It doesn't bother me, but to you it might. I have both right now ( rented a 70-200 L with IS ) and I am going to see if they make a difference, but i am a pretty steady shooter so I don't expect to see much difference. I suppose the many years of hunting and holding a rifle makes it easier to steady the camera, I very rarely ( maybe 1 in 1000 ) have blurry shots ( non-IS lense ).

Thanks for all of the replies, The guy I Bought my last lense has a 70-300MM with the IS and said he will give me a good deal on it. I think the IS will be better since my wife will be using it too. Now its on to get some good hoods and filters. Sounds like fun. I will post some pic with the new camera soon. L8er JAc