Questions About Aftermarket T Stats

I was reading previous threads about aftermarket T stats mainly 160*s and noticed that for 04s you didnt have to buy the housing for the Tstat, just the module itself correct? Now I'm an 03 so would that mean I need to buy everything (housing included). I'm looking to do this mod as soon as I get the info on it and get retuned for it. Thanks

As far as I know, '03 and '04 models that have clutch fans need the housing and -stat......'05+ models with e-fans just need the t-stat. Check SLP's website, all the info you need on which t-stat to buy should be there. :chevy:

www.slponline.com

The difference is in the water pump, not the fan type. IIRC it was 05 when they started going to the separate t-stat and housing, but I could be wrong. Either way, for your 03, you need the whole assembly, as you can't just replace the thermostat by itself.

If and when you guys replace your water pumps, GM doesn't make the older style ones anymore. You'll have to go to the 05+ style, which means that t-stat swaps become much cheaper :)

GM tried to change the thermostat housing design in '03, the thermostat valve is physically cast into the housing, they do not come apart; later GM reverted back to the prior design used in the last 80 years of the automobile (!) the thermostat valve is a separate piece from the housing. If you have an '03 you can get a low-temp thermostat specific for that year but costs about $55 because you are getting not only the thermostat valve but the housing too, or you can try to snag a setup off a later motor and retrofit but I am not sure about the interchange on that, and I've been told that even in the later motors there is a difference between '05-06 and '07+ :dunno: The experts on this would be SLP, I'd give them a call - very good people there too they were nice enough to give us a VIP tour...

Mr. P. :)

GM tried to change the thermostat housing design in '03, the thermostat valve is physically cast into the housing, they do not come apart; later GM reverted back to the prior design used in the last 80 years of the automobile (!) the thermostat valve is a separate piece from the housing. If you have an '03 you can get a low-temp thermostat specific for that year but costs about $55 because you are getting not only the thermostat valve but the housing too, or you can try to snag a setup off a later motor and retrofit but I am not sure about the interchange on that, and I've been told that even in the later motors there is a difference between '05-06 and '07+ :dunno: The experts on this would be SLP, I'd give them a call - very good people there too they were nice enough to give us a VIP tour...

Mr. P. :)

As far as I know the 99-02's were the same way as well. I know my 01 had the integrated housing and t-stat. It was either 04 or 05 that they went back to the separating them again.

Edited by thunder550 (see edit history)

As far as I know the 99-02's were the same way as well. I know my 01 had the integrated housing and t-stat. It was either 04 or 05 that they went back to the separating them again.

Thanks for the correction, wasn't sure... all I know was when I wanted a new thermostat I was like "$55... WTF???" :banghead: