Need Some Help Asap--trany Blown

So should i rebuild or get a built trany....Pros and cons would be helpful

and what should i do to beef up the trany if i rebuild

and what trany should i buy if i go new

any sugestions would be very helpful...i need to make a descion by tonight...

thanks for any input

IMO go cheap, or go all the way. Cheap = a low mileage 4L65 pulled out of a wreck; all the way = professionally built trans by a proven builder.

Mr. P.

Agreed. Depends on what blew up your tranny. If you're on stock power and the tranny just happened to take a dump for whatever reason, I'd just replace it with a cheap stock pull-out. If you're making enough power to break a 65E, then I'd go with a fully built trans like Mr. P said.

Thanks for the repllies guys....

Ok so if i go built whats your recomendations....

company:

Components i should look for:

My local guy has a line on a rebuilt transmision...however i am nervous...he says he has a transmision dyno and will build the trany better then it ever was.

so i can order one from a company you guys recomend, or have him build me one to the specs i wish.

Personally i just dont know what to look for in a good transmission.

my trany 3 4 clutches went and there is metel filings all in the trany, and converter he said is full of shavings.

this was on stock power with cervos and a shift kit from zippy, but i am going to be adding a SC in the near future so i want my trany to last and handle the power upgrades i plan to do.

also i remeber reading about a torque converter, if i rember correctly it was pink in colour and a lot of people recomended it but i cant remeber who makes it...if this rings a bell to anyone can you tell me the name thanks.

Aaron

Edited by slyder7 (see edit history)

All the way = FLT

If you don't like their prices, do a search over on performancetrucks.net forum, (they are a sponsor over there). I think it was Vince from FLT that made a post that details one of their 4l60E builds with TONS of pictures. You can use that post to see if one of the cheaper shops comes close to the FLT build quality. The build quality is second to none, but their prices were a little to high for me.

If you do go with someone else, compare everything they do to the trans to the FLT pictures to make sure what you're getting. ...and make SURE you get a warranty of some kind in writing. I ended up getting a year replacement and unlimited mileage from Goodfella's in Florida, but they're a bit unproven around these boards as of yet, but so far they've been great to work with. I talked their ear off for nearly an hour the first time I called, to ask which parts were installed, what mods were done to prevent failure, etc. I look forward to getting my trans installed very soon. Good luck which ever way you go! :thumbs:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

We stay pretty busy. At least that is the rumor they keep telling me. :jester:

You tear into mine yet Vince??? :P

Slyder7, Go all out now and avoid the pain of doing it again later. BTW, FLT has backed some of the fastest trucks in the nation. My direct experience has been nothing but satisifying. A very reputable company. :cheers: