Little Story About Tuned Pcms

04CHASE

well after reading about how gm is now inspecting vehicles with mechanical failures trying to be covered by warranty . how they are making the pcms able to be read and see when they were re flashed and will lock up after so many flash's

ive got a nice story for you all,

I frequent my old work ( chevy dealer) for parts and advice on building, common problems , and other advice from the tech's. So i am walking the shop and make it to heavy line ( where they do the big stuff like tear down engines and replace heads and all the other big jobs)

I see a brand new 2008 blue z06 ( like kelleyperformance's) with the hood popped, engine torn up and the heads laying beside it. no one is around so i begin to look at the heads, i see major signs of detonation . I ask the tech wtf happened to this thing, he said the motor is toast. i lauch and say how did that happen? He said he didnt know and that after tear down he called gm to ask for the a-ok to go ahead and replace whats is wrong with it. This is the same process i went through when i blew my first motor caused by a cam bearing failure( common among gen 3 ls motors) and they replaced it with no questiosn asked) well they told the tech to not replace anything at all. they were coming to inspect it. They came and he said the first thing they did was hooked up the computer to the obd port and checked the file, sure enough timing had been changed as well as other things and they went ahead and gave the customer the a-ok on the voided warranty.

so i know he was assed out an ls7 motor which from them is like 14k+ install time.

Just goes to show whats to come of the computer tunign world.

which may lead us to think , if you plan to keep your warranty change the pcm to stock when requiring warranty work, or on the newer vehicles where they casn check pcm logs it may be best to keep the oem pcm and have something tuned.

im not the one to say that gm should pay for your mistakes but it sucks to get denied or hassled warranty work when you have a tune and your a/c breaks. i know its not exactly that but they sometimes will try to blame things like this.

so just a heads up for you all.

ya gotta pay to play as the old saying goes. What a shame. Some sap has enough money to waste on a Z06, but he. or she cant take the time to do the research to find a good tuner or have a dyno session done. pitty. I feel bad for the car really.

Good ... the more I read about loser's f*cking up their vehicles and then getting GM to pay for their mistakes the more I get pissed. Some guys just don't know where to stop.

So what years are the able to start reading the pcm's on whether or not you messed with it? Not concerned about my SSS, but just got a couple of goodies for my 07 TBSS and am just about to start tuning it.

Wiz

Or you can just do what I did...upload the stock program from the pcm and save it for down the road should I ever have the need to return to stock. All I have to do is load th stock program back onto the pcm and no one will be the wiser. I am sur eit is going to be different with the newer pcm's where they can track changes and access etc.

Or you can just do what I did...upload the stock program from the pcm and save it for down the road should I ever have the need to return to stock. All I have to do is load th stock program back onto the pcm and no one will be the wiser. I am sur eit is going to be different with the newer pcm's where they can track changes and access etc.

That might not work either. I dont know for sure but they are looking for just flashing of the PCM and if you put back an old file that is missing some upgrades then they will catch you. IMO people need to have a good tuner and wait till they are out of warranty to mod their stuff to the extreme.

I also feel the tbss is where GM started doing this b/c guys were tuning them and did not know what they were doing and blowing up engines and transmissions, throwing a STS on it and then taking it off when they blew up their truck...Big O is right, guys who are stupid dont deserve to have GM pick up the bill but if I am stock and blow a trans I do feel they should replace it.

Good story

That might not work either. I dont know for sure but they are looking for just flashing of the PCM and if you put back an old file that is missing some upgrades then they will catch you. IMO people need to have a good tuner and wait till they are out of warranty to mod their stuff to the extreme.

I also feel the tbss is where GM started doing this b/c guys were tuning them and did not know what they were doing and blowing up engines and transmissions, throwing a STS on it and then taking it off when they blew up their truck...Big O is right, guys who are stupid dont deserve to have GM pick up the bill but if I am stock and blow a trans I do feel they should replace it.

Good story

:withstupid:

there are tooo many Bozo's out there with a lap top who THINK they can tune, and it is going to ruin it for everyone :nonod:

:seeya:

I can see wanting to tweak an SSS. It's got some objectionable things like an opressive speed limiter. I cannot understand why you'd want to tweak a Z06. Isn't it fast enough? Wasn't that the whole idea behind buying a Z06?