For You Detailingaholics And Gurus Out There

What do you guys think of this DA polisher/buffer http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-car-detailing...Action-Polisher compared to the porter cable 7424 (I think that's the correct number)? I have a dewalt buffer, but it is too powerful of a machine for a newbie like me to use at first because one wrong move and I'll burn through the paint. I've never really used a buffer/polisher before and have done everything by hand, but it's getting to the point now where I need one to get the swirl marks out of my black vehicle. Any info or input is appreciated - thanks guys! :)

I wouldn't waste my money on that. Either get a Porter Cable or a Flex (even better). I am assuming that your dewalt is a rotary, which can do some damage if you don't know what you are doing. With a PC it is hard to burn the paint on a vehicle, unless you are using an aggresive cutting pad with an aggresive polish.

I wouldn't waste my money on that. Either get a Porter Cable or a Flex (even better). I am assuming that your dewalt is a rotary, which can do some damage if you don't know what you are doing. With a PC it is hard to burn the paint on a vehicle, unless you are using an aggresive cutting pad with an aggresive polish.

PC stands for what? porter cable? and how good is this Flex one and where can I buy one from? thank you :D and yes, my dewalt is a rotary variable speed.

the meguires buffer is a good product. My buddy just bought one and is love with it. He is very meticulous and if he likes, it must be okay. I've got a Griot's Random Orbital and have had good results with it. Griot's

You might check with Steve (Mr. P) and see what he thinks. I know he's one of those guru's you speak of.

Edited by montanass (see edit history)

What do you guys think of this DA polisher/buffer http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-car-detailing...Action-Polisher compared to the porter cable 7424 (I think that's the correct number)? I have a dewalt buffer, but it is too powerful of a machine for a newbie like me to use at first because one wrong move and I'll burn through the paint. I've never really used a buffer/polisher before and have done everything by hand, but it's getting to the point now where I need one to get the swirl marks out of my black vehicle. Any info or input is appreciated - thanks guys! :)

Its not bad, but I'd prefer the PC over the megs polisher. If you really want to get the best one for your money look into the Ultimate Detailing Machine. Just as good as a PC, but with all the little annoying bugs worked out. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/uldema.html That will be the machine I go to if/when my PC ever dies.

You're making the right choice going DA polisher first b/c a rotary can do some real damage if not used correctly.

Be careful if you go with the Porter Cable. Keep it at lower speeds b/c even though it is a random orbital, it will burn the pain. I know. It is a nice machine however.

Wrong. In order to 'burn the paint' with a DA you would actually have to TRY and do it on purpose, most likely by holding the pad perpendicular to the painted surface at which point I'd be more concerned about the orbital motion causing a dent than I would be about burn. A paint burn happens when heat builds up and the paint is literally cut down... b/c a DA polisher moves in a random orbit the chances of getting one contact patch consistent enough in a small area to burn the paint is damn near impossible. Its easily done w/ a rotary as the pad surface only spins in a constant rotation w/ no orbital or dual action motion.

You could literally hold a PC over one spot w/ the OPM maxed out using the most aggressive foam pad you can find and a polishing compound and never build up enough friction to damage the paint.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

Its not bad, but I'd prefer the PC over the megs polisher. If you really want to get the best one for your money look into the Ultimate Detailing Machine. Just as good as a PC, but with all the little annoying bugs worked out. http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/uldema.html That will be the machine I go to if/when my PC ever dies.

You're making the right choice going DA polisher first b/c a rotary can do some real damage if not used correctly.

Wrong. In order to 'burn the paint' with a DA you would actually have to TRY and do it on purpose, most likely by holding the pad perpendicular to the painted surface at which point I'd be more concerned about the orbital motion causing a dent than I would be about burn. A paint burn happens when heat builds up and the paint is literally cut down... b/c a DA polisher moves in a random orbit the chances of getting one contact patch consistent enough in a small area to burn the paint is damn near impossible. Its easily done w/ a rotary as the pad surface only spins in a constant rotation w/ no orbital or dual action motion.

You could literally hold a PC over one spot w/ the OPM maxed out using the most aggressive foam pad you can find and a polishing compound and never build up enough friction to damage the paint.

damm dylan you really know your stuff :thumbs: i think i need another detail bro

I'm with Dylan on this one........... :cheers: .I bought a UDM from Chris a while back, and broke it out of the box this last weekend. Being a first-timer with polishing, I found the UDM to be very easy to handle and use. I also used the Zaino line of polishes, etc. but will be getting some PoorBoys later on. The polish that came with my kit wasn't enough to get out some swirls, so I'm stepping it up a bit. I'd say the UDM is a very good investment, and Chris has different "packages" on his site to combine with the UDM................

I'm with Dylan on this one........... :cheers: .I bought a UDM from Chris a while back, and broke it out of the box this last weekend. Being a first-timer with polishing, I found the UDM to be very easy to handle and use. I also used the Zaino line of polishes, etc. but will be getting some PoorBoys later on. The polish that came with my kit wasn't enough to get out some swirls, so I'm stepping it up a bit. I'd say the UDM is a very good investment, and Chris has different "packages" on his site to combine with the UDM................

Wait...did you break the UDM? If so, how? I don't want something that's easily breakable. Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote, but I'm just making sure. And to add, I bought some 3M products (what the professional detailing shops use - swirl mark remover, compound, swirl mark eliminator, and etc) including the velcro pad and additional pads. Will my velcro pad and other pads fit the UDM polisher?

I hear so many things about Zaino and Poorboys. How good are these products, and which one do you guys deem better? Or are they the same in quality?

Wait...did you break the UDM? If so, how? I don't want something that's easily breakable. Maybe I misinterpreted what you wrote, but I'm just making sure.

............. :lol: ...No, I didn't break it...Sorry, I guess I should have worded that differently... :lol: ...I just meant that I finally got it out of the box after having bought it a few months back.....We finally had some decent weather here, so I decided to try it out.......Excellent machine to work with, you won't be disappointed. As far as Zaino/PoorBoys, I'll let the masters answer that question.........

Edited by GetWithIt (see edit history)

............. :lol: ...No, I didn't break it...Sorry, I guess I should have worded that differently... :lol: ...I just meant that I finally got it out of the box after having bought it a few months back.....We finally had some decent weather here, so I decided to try it out.......Excellent machine to work with, you won't be disappointed. As far as Zaino/PoorBoys, I'll let the masters answer that question.........

LOL :lol: Omg I feel like such a moron now. Duh me. Well I'm happy you got a laugh out of it! :jester: Thank you very much for your input. :)