Where To Begin For Better Power.

nastyhabit

I've had my SS over a day and haven't ordered anything for it yet!!!

Somewhere I saw a list of mods for performance - not suspension related, just speed and response when you hit it around town and highway.

how close am I here - please feel free to fill in brands you have installed.

CAI

Exhaust

Tune

--- Do I mess with TBS or Mass air flow right now or not?

Tranny must need shift kit.

Anyone run the dynatech header/cat combo? With what exhaust?

Anyone just skip the mix n match and throw in SLP 400 HP setup? hows it run?

Looks like you're on the right path...

CAI - Volant/AEM

Exhaust - Magnaflow/Corsa

Shift Kit/ Servos

and a good tune with EFI live/HP tuners really will make a difference in these trucks...

I wouldn't mess with the TB of MAF, you don't have to worry about that until you get into big power...

CAI

I have an outlaw, Volant is good and so is AEM.

Exhaust

A lot of people like Corsa and magnaflow. Some put flows, cutouts etc.

Tune

The tune is the most important, and biggest bang for the buck. Wheatley, zippy, and a few others are around here just search. However, you can always buy tuning software and get a mail order as well. Its all by e-mail and its much less downtime. Plus you get the added benefit to learn yourself.

--- Do I mess with TBS or Mass air flow right now or not?

NO

Tranny must need shift kit.

Again, you do not NEED a shift kit but it would be beneficial. With a tune the shifts can become a bit more agressive(to your order, can be changed).

Anyone run the dynatech header/cat combo? With what exhaust?

Yeah a lot of people run that here, as well as OBX (old stly dyna) pacesetter, ASM and for the $$$$ Belanger. To be honest in my opinion the stock SSS exhaust is fine and plenty big. I have a Corsa and got it because the truck was just to quiet.

Welcome to the forum, there is a ton of info to be had. Especially with big power.

A quick note on tunes and warrenty, recently GM made a tool that reads if the PCM has been screwed around with. You could always get a core PCM for your truck and send that one in while keeping your stock pcm handy if you ever need to do any work

Edited by Drako (see edit history)

CAI - K&N/AEM/Volant

Exhaust- GM Performance Parts/Corsa/Magnaflow/Borla

Tune-Wheatley/Zippy/.justin.

:chevy:

Your in the right track as everyone already said......be prepared to drop a good amount of $$$ for the Dynatech Supermaxx System.

CAI - K&N/AEM/Volant

Exhaust- GM Performance Parts/Corsa/Magnaflow/Borla

Tune-Wheatley/Zippy/.justin.

Your in the right track as everyone already said......be prepared to drop a good amount of $$$ for the Dynatech Supermaxx System.

I was about to order the KN this afternoon then saw the first couple of volant references here so now I'm scrathin my head. Plus the guy who built my Turbo T saw the truck today and mentioned making one out of polished tube they have around for intercooler piping. Trouble is then he's got to fab up a barrier to keep heat away and yada yada next thing it turns into a half day job. I'm going to order somethign tomorrow :)

Yes I know the dynatech is right around $1500 in Summit - plus exhaust.... BUT I went for a spin in an 06 vette that had Dynatec with a cam as well and it sounded so so nasty at WOT and leaving stoplights. This may be further down the road.

I like the borla sound - their site did not list a system for this truck though.

Now I need to get first in line for a used ECM that I can have tuned!

Anyone want to buy a GM Parts rear underseat lockable storage bin?

I was about to order the KN this afternoon then saw the first couple of volant references here so now I'm scrathin my head. Plus the guy who built my Turbo T saw the truck today and mentioned making one out of polished tube they have around for intercooler piping. Trouble is then he's got to fab up a barrier to keep heat away and yada yada next thing it turns into a half day job. I'm going to order somethign tomorrow :)

Yes I know the dynatech is right around $1500 in Summit - plus exhaust.... BUT I went for a spin in an 06 vette that had Dynatec with a cam as well and it sounded so so nasty at WOT and leaving stoplights. This may be further down the road.

I like the borla sound - their site did not list a system for this truck though.

How much$$$?

You will find a mixed bag here in terms of CAI choices, I happen to like the K&N reguardless of what tests say.

The GMPP kit which I have is manufactured by Borla. Borla does offer a dual/dual set up for these trucks, but it is difficult to find.

Any good tuner like Wheatley or Zippy have spare PCMs around that they can tune for you, you just have to pay a core charge.

Thanks Fireman~

Yep I've always leaned towards KN - 21 years now and many cars either drop in or cones. I did see where the volant has an optional ram air tube that drops down to the tow hook to grab fresh air. Makes no sense off the line but at speed it would help.

Dug around last night, the online GMPP catalog is too much of a PITA - wind up finding the exhaust you mention at PACE - $539 w/o tip... not too bad but someone mentioned it $100 less not too long ago.

Thrilled to hear the tuners have the cores! Last ECM we sent out was on my wifes 850R Wagon and it went bye bye clear cross country and back in a week while the car sat awaiting docs for registration anyhow....

So with CAI, Dynatech setup, GMPP exhaust and Tune... it must feel snappier when you whack it at highway speed and better spin the tires at will from a dead stop eh? Is it a 100 HP gain?

Now why does the SLP kit replace the rockers? Should I add that in to the above recipe?

Thanks Fireman~

Yep I've always leaned towards KN - 21 years now and many cars either drop in or cones. I did see where the volant has an optional ram air tube that drops down to the tow hook to grab fresh air. Makes no sense off the line but at speed it would help.

Dug around last night, the online GMPP catalog is too much of a PITA - wind up finding the exhaust you mention at PACE - $539 w/o tip... not too bad but someone mentioned it $100 less not too long ago.

Thrilled to hear the tuners have the cores! Last ECM we sent out was on my wifes 850R Wagon and it went bye bye clear cross country and back in a week while the car sat awaiting docs for registration anyhow....

So with CAI, Dynatech setup, GMPP exhaust and Tune... it must feel snappier when you whack it at highway speed and better spin the tires at will from a dead stop eh? Is it a 100 HP gain?

Now why does the SLP kit replace the rockers? Should I add that in to the above recipe?

Take a look at my garage and what modifications I have done. My truck is a total sleeper, I have built on everything but the internals of the motor. My truck is capable of a high 13 second pass but still has yet to prove so for two reasons....1- uncooperative weather here in the Northeast, it rains every weekend 2-I have no traction with the added power LOL.

The K&N works very well at speed, you would be surprised how much air comes in over the headlight once you are moving. Myself along with many other remove my headlight at the track, a Ram Air effect is created with the amount of air flow that comes in.

My truck is a total rocket in 2nd gear, it literally pins you to the seat. I will post a video soon once my re-tune comes in from Charlie Wheatley. From a dead stop I can lay a trail of rubber over 200ft long with the TC switched off.

The Dynatech LTs are awesome, you can feel the difference in low end torque now. I bought my cat-back through the dealer for around $500 or so with the tip.......I will post the part numbers later on today for you.

CAI, quality tune, and cat-back should net you somewhere in the area of 40hp. LTs should net you a gain of 30-40 hp. Figure with full exhaust from the header back, CAI, and a quality tune you will gain somewhere between 60-80hp. My truck will be hitting the dyno soon to see how much HP I have gained with all my mods.

These motors are rock solid, unless you plan on an aggressive cam I wouldn't worry about the rockers/rods yet. You should consider a shift kit, alluminum accumulator pistons, Vette servos, and a larger trans cooler since you tow. Beefing the transmission up a bit would be a good idea to extend its life. Once you start building power, these transmissions become a problem more often then not.

I have Dynatech Supermaxx headers + cats flowing through my Corsa Sport Cat-back and it sounds so awesome. Here is a short vid. The truck was in doors so its not the greatest, but you get the idea. It is aggressive! SS's should have came with this combo from the factory!

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...t=0&start=0

As far as a CAI, I have a Volant and love it. The fit and finish is nice and tight and with the lid/box and looks nice. I also like the Volant because of the ram air scoop capability.

As far as trans mods, I have a Transgo HD2-C kit, aluminum Vette Servos, aluminum accumulator pistons, and an OEM Vette trans pan + filter (deep pan).

I just got my re-tune from Wheatley for the headers (installed over the winter) and shift kit (waiting to be installed) and I am very happy with his service and shipping time. Honestly, I have yet to drive the truck with the headers/shift kit, as I am waiting to get the shift kit installed. I am hoping for a little tire chirping action!

Teddy :chevy:

CAI- Vararam

Exhaust- Gibson cat back

Tune- Not yet

The Vararam is the only mod I've done. The exhaust was on it when I bought it. Plan on doing the tune myself. I've got Tunercat that I've used for years. The only reason I stayed with it is its one of the only programs to tune my '96 Vette with and I'm familiar with it. The thing is with all the different variables I'm not sure where to start. Things seem a little different than what everyone talks about with HP tuner or EFI live. I guess I'll just have to play with it some.

:flag: