Quick Question.. I Think..lol

RICE EATER

well.. i finaly got my truck tuned ( thanks again to zippy for coming down to do it ) truck really pulls hard i thought it pulled hard before..:)...

anyways ive while he was tuning it.. hptuners gives out an est torque number..mine was 584 ..woohoo :driving::cheers: ... i was just curious if anyone knows how accurite those numbers are. and if anyone else had put down anything simular.. so i could get an idea of my hp numbers also.. i guess im just more curious then anything..the only thing that really matters is what it does in the 1/4 :chevy:

Well from what I've seen of dynos, it's about just as accurate :lol: The theory is that the torque can be directly calculated from the amount of airflow ingested by the engine, and if the PCM tune is spot-on then the computer knows exactly how much air is being taken in (it has to so that it can fuel correctly) so that dynamic torque PID should be pretty close, but remember that's crankshaft torque not at the wheel. The PCM then uses that value to determine how hard to shift the transmission...

My philosophy about dynos - don't get all wrapped-up in the actual number they spit out; you just take the number given and use it to judge if changes to the powertrain make the graph go up or down. Same with the PCM's coputation of estimated power, since it's directly driven from measured volumetric efficiency as long as both are improving then you are headed in the right direction with your project.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

intersting.....that makes alot of sence.. im still catching on to the tuning im used to tunning with a screwdriver on a carb..haha

hmm well i guess its not making as much power as i thought then.. from what ive seen most of the trucks then were running low 12 to high 11s were in the 600 ballpark..and unless my hp is alot higher then my torque which is normal not the case im not as close as i thought. or i read other peoples numbers wrong

i wish i knew what it was makin before the old motor poped..that one went 12.300 at 111.. and i add a cam and injectors .. hope i didnt slow it down.. haha

well i guess im just throw off alil by something and im trying to understand.. heres another thing that confuced me.. i understand its a bit of bench racing.. but like i said its just my curious side. take for example the 1/4 or horse power calulators.. i know there not exact.. but from my experice there it the ball park but the numbers dont jiv at all or my trucks really down on power...they say for my truck to run what it did it would need 590 rwhp..( there a hundred diff once i just give this one as on example http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html ) but hp tuners says i make 584 and thats torque at the crank so the hp is probly 550 560 ish not really sure.. and so if i figure 25% drive trainloss.. that means only 438 at the tires.. so im i really 140+ hp short??

well i guess im just throw off alil by something and im trying to understand.. heres another thing that confuced me.. i understand its a bit of bench racing.. but like i said its just my curious side. take for example the 1/4 or horse power calulators.. i know there not exact.. but from my experice there it the ball park but the numbers dont jiv at all or my trucks really down on power...they say for my truck to run what it did it would need 590 rwhp..( there a hundred diff once i just give this one as on example http://www.race-cars.net/calculators/et_calculator.html ) but hp tuners says i make 584 and thats torque at the crank so the hp is probly 550 560 ish not really sure.. and so if i figure 25% drive trainloss.. that means only 438 at the tires.. so im i really 140+ hp short??

I thought with AWD you're looking at a 30-35% loss. Anybody know for sure?