Doing Back Brakes, Few Questions

fox_forma

Well I am on my 3rd set of pads now with 38k on the odometer. I am pissed. The factory rears went at about 27k if I remember correctly and I replaced them about a month before I took the journey west with my trailer. 10k later my rears are sh!t again. The fronts are perfectly fine but my rears are worn down. I don't know what pads were put on the second time but I do know they didnt last long and gave off more brake dust than I have ever seen.

This time I am just doing it myself but wanted to ask a few questions. I was looking through older threads and a lot of people keep talking about getting their rotors off. Why is that? Just to rotate them? Is this necessary? I have all the tools I need so I think I'm good with that for now but does anyone have a friggin idea why my rears are going so quick. Any other things I need to know before changing the pads out. I have always done my stang and camaro before so figured its the same concept. My fronts are still like new, go figure.

Asked the dealer about this a couple and haven't gotten a response worthy of listening to. And yes I have tried different dealers on this issue, back east and here where I live now.

Well alot of times the pistons in the caliper get stuck and will wear the brakes unevenly! Well i just changed my rear brakes last saturday. I got them from autozone ! Here they arehttp://www.autozone.com/R,APP1137172/vehicleId,2965401/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,3007/partType,01234/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Ummm....it is a big no no to change just pads and not machine your rotors. Do your self a favor and pull the rotors and have them "turned" at autozone or murrays for $10. Put the new pads on and you will be much happier. I just always replace the rotors whenever I replace the pads anyways. I used to be a brake engineer at TRW, rotor runout can cause pads to go bad very quickly and nasty vibrations at pedal application.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Ummm....it is a big no no to change just pads and not machine your rotors. Do your self a favor and pull the rotors and have them "turned" at autozone or murrays for $10. Put the new pads on and you will be much happier. I just always replace the rotors whenever I replace the pads anyways. I used to be a brake engineer at TRW, rotor runout can cause pads to go bad very quickly and nasty vibrations at pedal application.

yep very tru, you ALWAYS should turn/replace rotors when changing pads, aslo inspect the caliper, piston seals, 2 pins that drive the caliper

Well for some reason the brakes that are listed for the 03 sss is the wrong brakes! I dont know why but thats why! WShen ever u did the brakes i went to the store bought them, pulled the old one off and they were the wrong one i just thought that they gave me the wrong ones but they didnt!!! Well thats why!!! Good luck!!!

Just woke up fom sleep and thought about this as well!!! When you change the brakes check to make sure the guide pins are well lubricated and that the i guess you could call them guide plates arent broken and not rusted really bad one of mine was broken!!!!! And again good luck !!!

yep very tru, you ALWAYS should turn/replace rotors when changing pads, aslo inspect the caliper, piston seals, 2 pins that drive the caliper

:withstupid: I assume you still have the OE rotors on there? Check them for rotor rot also, most GM late model rotors had issues with rotor rot. The deterioration of the rotor will kill pads in no time at all. It seems like you have already had these rotors cut once, maybe twice........you really should bite the bullet and replace them. They are getting thin and will tend to score/warp much easier. Be sure to grease the pad guides well to keep the pads from hanging up.

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

yeah I hear ya on replacing them but I am fairly pissed that the truck has barely 38k on the clock and this is the 3rd set and the dealer hasnt done sh!t about it. If its not one thing its another it always seems and its never anything huge, just little crap that adds up twice as fast.

Oh I understand trust me, my SSS has 28k on it and its on its 3rd set of front brakes, the rears are just about shot now too. The frustration is mutual, my truck has just sprung leak #4, damn oil pan gasket. :freak: