Broken Stud On Rear Wheel...doh!

SSThunder

well I went to put on my track wheels to run tonight and broke a stud on the rear driver side wheel. I've got disc brakes all the way around so can you guys tell me how hard it is to replace the broken hub? I might just take it to a stealership and have them replace it. any idea what that will run me? Really pisses me off. I mean I put these wheels on by hand and tried to take them off by hand. no air tools here and the dam thing broke. Maybe I need to lay off the weights lol. Any way to stop this from happening again?

Once I broke a stud at work on a tahoe(the last person overtorqued the lugnuts), and the lady went to replace at local dealer and charged her 950.00. To replace her hub and stud. Anti-seize could help to lube and clean the studs by removing all the grease and rust. A torque wrench is the best way to go this way your not overtorqueing the studs. Justh be sure to set the torque at the right amount. Good luck!

This is a simple $5 and 5-min fix, the axle and hub are just fine and don't need to be removed to replace a broken stud. If you can operate a lug-wrench then you've got all the skills and prior experience required to do the job. Go to a local autoparts store and buy a replacement stud. Then remove the rim, and using a heavy hammer pound directly on the broken stud to drive it out of the hub, once the old stud is gone just insert the new one into the hole from the backside of the hub and use a lugnut and wrench to "pull" the stud tight into the hub.

Mr. P. :)

Yeah, just replace it yourself. Had to do two on my wife's tahoe this week when replacing her rotors and pads. Naturally, I didn't think to engage 4wd and lock the front differential... Was a real pain trying to hold the rotor in place while tightening the lugs down.

$2 per stud at advance auto, dealer offered to replace one for her for $17 + $103 labor (had to go in to get a new instrument cluster).

Thanks for the help guys. with all I've done to this truck, I would think I've got the skills to tackle this job. I'll replace the stud ASAP. The good news is I can still get a lugnut on the broken stud with the 17 track wheels :thumbs:

I've broken more studs on this truck than I ever have in my life on all other cars/trucks I've owned combined. Just about every other time I rotate my wheels.. Even went and got a new digital tq wrench... I keep a collection of studs in my tool box it's so bad...

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Are you guys over-tightening them? Tighten to 90-ft lbs, unless you've got ARP hardware...

Mr. P.

Tire shop overtightened our tahoe's... They even broke one there at the shop. Should have been a hint that they were screwing it up.