Need Help/tips For Replacing Stud In Rear Wheel

SSThunder

As you guys know I broke a wheel stud while trying to remove my driver-side rear tire. I plan on replacing it tomorrow by myself. I've looked at the rear disc hub and wonder what tools I use to knock the broken stud out?

I've got a hammer and rubber mallet(sp?). Can I pound on a screw driver to push the broken stud out or what would you guys use?

I might be off to Lowes for some tools so let me know what I need to get and if you have any tips for me to help the job go by faster.

Thanks, Jeremy

A cutting torch, a VERY large hammer, maybe a plasma cutter, A drill...a big one. you might wanna pick up a new stainless box while your there, there pretty nice...

OH you meant for the stud problem huh? :jester:

i would not use a screwdriver :nono: get a 5 lb. hammer and a set of roll punches large enough to drive the stud out. PB plaster/WD40 spray both sides good. then beat the crap out of it and should come right out :thumbs: i have had some on large trucks that it took only a couple hits and they came out...

good luck

:seeya:

do i have to take the hub off or can i remove the broken stud while it's still on the truck?

As Mr. P. put in the other topic....

This is a simple $5 and 5-min fix, the axle and hub are just fine and don't need to be removed to replace a broken stud. If you can operate a lug-wrench then you've got all the skills and prior experience required to do the job. Go to a local autoparts store and buy a replacement stud. Then remove the rim, and using a heavy hammer pound directly on the broken stud to drive it out of the hub, once the old stud is gone just insert the new one into the hole from the backside of the hub and use a lugnut and wrench to "pull" the stud tight into the hub.

Mr. P. :)

I wouldn't use a screwdriver. Get a Drift Punch/Pin and beat away.

In the past I've taken Drum Brakes to work and used an Arbor Press to replace them. I haven't had to deal with one on our trucks yet. But I like the idea of not having to remove the Hub :)

Let us know how it went :cheers:

Edited by Tzer (see edit history)

all you need is a hammer, i had to do a few of them last week . just pull the caliper then the rotor, youll have exposed hubs, no need to remove them , just pund on the stud , it should come loose from the hub pretty easily . then pull it out, you may need to have that axle in the air so you can rotate it to get the stud out becasue it will only want to come out in one part of where the hub is, youll underatand what im saying when you get off the rotor. the put the new one on , get a few washers put them over the front side of the stud and tighern up with a lug nut on it to pull the new stud through the hub.

all you need is a hammer, i had to do a few of them last week . just pull the caliper then the rotor, youll have exposed hubs, no need to remove them , just pund on the stud , it should come loose from the hub pretty easily . then pull it out, you may need to have that axle in the air so you can rotate it to get the stud out becasue it will only want to come out in one part of where the hub is, youll underatand what im saying when you get off the rotor. the put the new one on , get a few washers put them over the front side of the stud and tighern up with a lug nut on it to pull the new stud through the hub.

I knew I had to remove something. I've never removed any rotors or calipers. Any special tools needed to do that?