Children Of The Corn

SS_bnoon_SS

I get about 14 around town and got 18.7 on the way from Davenport to Des Moines this afternoon averaging 73mph!! thats not bad at all !!

Yea not bad. My Highway mileage goes to crap when I pickup the pace. IF I drove 65 to 70 I would do better. 80 mph kills it.

I would love to get back to 14 mpg city, but the latest stall I have is too loose.

I am not going to start whining (not like your whine) until I hit single digits.

care to elaborate on the mileage being better? it was my impression that E85 always netted lower fuel economy. is there something about an E85-only tune that allows more MPG than a flex tune? also, what happens if you travel to an area with no E85 availability, like Waterloo?

The mileage is better from being able to add timing. I conservatively added 2-3 degrees on the high/low spark tables and added 1-2 more in cruise cells. Same thing that I did when trying to optimize the spark for 93 octane tune using the "how to" on HPT forums.

Since it's E85 only right now, I just have to pla ahead. If no E85 is available, then I'd have to throw in a 93 premium tune instead.

Hey Brad is the mileage better because you cant throttle it?

I thought there was no economic benefits to running it because the cheaper fuel was offset but the lesser MPG.

You obviosly have to flow more E85 to get the same performance or you would not be getting bigger injectors.

Did I miss something?

At prices about 2 weeks ago, I had figured a cost per mile of 22.3 cents per mile on 93 and 17 cents per mile on E85. With the price increase on premium to right about at 4 bucks and E85 at $2.89 on my last fill, the cost difference is even greater for me to run E85.

During normal cruise, the stock injectors flow enough fuel. It's not running lean until WOT and 4500 RPM. Adding larger injectors will not lower my MPG except when I go WOT, which is pretty rare these days with gas prices the way they are.

Yeah i dont quite understand it either. but whatever. i dont think its worth the risk of blowing up another 6000$ motor to play with something that might or might not work. yeah it seems successful to some, but the mileage isnt that much better, if at all. I know on my wifes car it gets less MPG with running ethanol.

as it sits i am near 18 mpg on the highway with my supercharged motor, i think i will stick with that.

in the end there is nothing we can do bout gas prices except complain to deaf ears.

maybe i am just ignorant to new technologies, but if our motors were supposed to run e85 i think they would have been built that way when they were sold to us. :rolleyes:

Yeah, with the miles you put on your truck it would be waaaaaay to hard to try to track all of the E85 stations anyway, not to mention you would have to run some pretty dang HUGE injectors to keep up with 30% more fuel on that beast. If I were in your situation I wouldn't even question it either. It's not a question of "if it would work", the "big 3" have already run boosted show cars on E85 that make more power than on regular gas. It just doesn't fit everyone's situation to make it practical.

...but, if our trucks were supposed to be supercharged, have DVD players, TV's, and suede headliners they would have been built that way when they were sold to us. :rolleyes:

since getting rid of the out of box tuner i had and the new computer in, switched back to 91 oc. and have been running 15 to 15.5 in town, have not had it out on the road yet, just from Des moines to Ankeny every night for work.. had the 87 tune in it before and was getting 14 - 14.5 in town.. runs better now..

Edited by DSM04BLACKSS (see edit history)

At prices about 2 weeks ago, I had figured a cost per mile of 22.3 cents per mile on 93 and 17 cents per mile on E85. With the price increase on premium to right about at 4 bucks and E85 at $2.89 on my last fill, the cost difference is even greater for me to run E85.

Ok, well thats the kind of info I am looking for. But I am wondering once you get injectors in if you will be able to maintain that same level of timing. Yea I know its RPM/flow based but I am pretty sure you are **** footing it around to stay away from going lean.

I will be anxious to see if you have to run less timing to do WOT blast which reduces your timing.

I know I can change my tune and pick up 2-3 mpg with timing but need to stay out of it.

Interesting research I will admit.

Edited by rrmccabe (see edit history)

OK, pure interstate driving yesterday for 260 miles round trip and got 19.4 calculated with 19.2 on DIC. First time over 16 since I got rid of the taller stock tires over a year ago!!!

Even with the added timing I can nail the throttle until 4500 RPM and get no KR at all.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

i was shocked the other day, but I hit 21 mpg at a steady 72 mph for a couple of miles. :eek: I think it was just better driving conditions and lighter traffic that led to that. I usually get just above 14 mpg around town. my normal mpg for the week is about 16.8 between the too.

i was shocked the other day, but I hit 21 mpg at a steady 72 mph for a couple of miles. :eek: I think it was just better driving conditions and lighter traffic that led to that. I usually get just above 14 mpg around town. my normal mpg for the week is about 16.8 between the too.

Last time I got above 15-15.5 on the interstate I was going with the wind! This time, I went out and there was no wind and coming back I was bucking 30-40MPH winds coming straight at me!