What Air Tools Should I Get?

haul@ss

I'm not looking to be doing professional automotive jobs like engine builds or anything, but I do want to be able to do basic jobs like suspension work. I'm just tired of doing everything with hand tools haha. So I need your guys' input on what basics I need.

What size compressor, gallons psi blah blah. I'll need an impact wrench of course, but what size? Oh and an air ratchet would be nice too :D I'm undecided on brand, don't want to spend a whole lot so no snap on stuff for me haha. Craftsman should be good right? I'm just the weekend mechanic type haha but I want to make sure the parts are durable and powerful enough for most jobs.

I thought this would be nice http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...and%7CCraftsman

but from the reviews, the impact wrench sounds week and the hose is too small, again, what size should i buy?

Any input?

Edited by haul@ss (see edit history)

ive been buying all kinds of ir stuff online, the reason is most tool truck can warranty it.

also its good shit. for start id recomend 1/2 impact with 600+ ft lbs , 3/8 air ratchet , i just got a new ir and it kicks ass with 70 ft lbs, i also got a new ir titanium 1/4 air ratchet that im waiting for. there are alot of tools you can get but for starter id get these.

or you can buy the cordless impact from snap that wody pictured in a recent post , battery last long and has alot of power. but it is expensive.

depending if you plan to fab or anything but a good cut off tool is good, as well as a grinder.

I have a 60 gallon compressor that is rated to 135 psi,it is a porter cable and was around 500 bucks.

The first tools you need for it are 3/8 ratchet,1/2 impact,and a rotary tool.I like the thunder gun for an impact but that is just me.

ive been buying all kinds of ir stuff online, the reason is most tool truck can warranty it.

also its good shit. for start id recomend 1/2 impact with 600+ ft lbs , 3/8 air ratchet , i just got a new ir and it kicks ass with 70 ft lbs, i also got a new ir titanium 1/4 air ratchet that im waiting for. there are alot of tools you can get but for starter id get these.

or you can buy the cordless impact from snap that wody pictured in a recent post , battery last long and has alot of power. but it is expensive.

depending if you plan to fab or anything but a good cut off tool is good, as well as a grinder.

ingersol rand :thumbs:

air tools and accessories are their specialty

I've been around air tools all my life, my dad has the biggest air compressor I have ever seen for personal use. The motor on top of it is the size of a 1200CC harley engine. lol We have just about every tool imaginable, but i find myself reaching for these the most:

cut off tool

1/2 impact wrench

3/8 air rachet

die grinder

I also use an air chisel and a air powered buffer a lot as well

Most of our tools are IR, but I do belive Chicago Pneumatic is a pretty good brand also

I've been around air tools all my life, my dad has the biggest air compressor I have ever seen for personal use. The motor on top of it is the size of a 1200CC harley engine. lol We have just about every tool imaginable, but i find myself reaching for these the most:

cut off tool

1/2 impact wrench

3/8 air rachet

die grinder

I also use an air chisel and a air powered buffer a lot as well

Most of our tools are IR, but I do belive Chicago Pneumatic is a pretty good brand also

CP+harbor freight= :puke:

Dont buy a husky compressor, or husky anything for that matter. I got a kit with a big compressor, air ratchet, paint gun, impact gun... First the impact died, then the compressors regulator stopped working- I almost blew up my garage, then the air ratchet exploded into a hundred pieces, get the picture?

Go to GMtechtools.com and look around they have really good prices. I have the IR titanium 1/2 and 3/8 impact and they are great but probly more than you want to spend, I had a blue point 3/8 ratchet but the tip broke off and the tool guy let me hold a snap on while its getting fixed- the snap on is way better I want one now. Try to find stuff with a warranty or you'll end up using hand tools in the end anyway

yeah man ingersol rand is best bet for the money , i wont knock craftsman becasue i have never owned any of their air tools but with the lifttime warranty and sears and k mart carrying them it couldnt hurt to try.

but ingersol is just nice shit.

for the compressor dont buy something to small , youll kick your self in the foot. especially for using a cut off tool . imo get at least a 60 but id go 100.

when shopping for a compressor look for cfm out put before any thing else,that will tell you how well the compressor will keep up with the tool being used.the lower the rating the more the compressor will run. Chase is right IR is good tools.I use and have snap-on,I personally paid for at least ont truck by now......I have big red snap on 80 gal 7.5 hp that pushes @24 cfm per min,more than enough to push two die grinders w/o all day with min run time

for the compressor dont buy something to small , youll kick your self in the foot. especially for using a cut off tool . imo get at least a 60 but id go 100.

do i really need something that big for basic jobs? i'm not planning on fabbing anything up, just tire changes, shocks, removing my hitch n spare, stuff like that

to save all the hassle of compressors and stuff you could always go cordless. plus all the new battery powered stuff now-a-days has a ton of power. i use my 1/2 cordless impact more than my pneumatic. may also end up cheaper as well.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)